uro's staying in tunnels

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by MamaLizzard1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. MamaLizzard1

MamaLizzard1 Embryo

I'm a newby @ this & really need some help. We gave my son 2 uro's for Christmas & they have been great, they have recently found the PVC pipe tunnel we put in when my husband built the tank it's 2 ft deep w/sand for them to tunnel. But they haven't come out for 3 day's. We check on them & keep the lights & heaters on up top to keep heat in but we are worried to death. They aren't coming up to eat or visit anymore. Is this normal???? Any input is appreciated.

A very worried mama.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Uro's. However, I do not think that you should be housing them together. How big are they & are they the same or opposite sex, or do you know?
    Relocation stress is a huge thing just being brought to a new home from the petstore & all. Are the temps correct for them? What are you measuring the temps with in order for them to be accurate?
    They do tend to be pretty skittish when you first get them. Make sure your temps are right on. What foods are you offering?
    Tracie

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MamaLizzard1

MamaLizzard1 Embryo

RE: Hello

Hi-
    I have a really good Uro book we were given by the feed store. The temp has been right on from day to night w/the extreme drop. My husband built a really big 10 ft long by 4 feed wide by 9 ft deep w/ three tunnels leading to a big centered bottom. One is a female & the other is a male. The are about 10" long. One is really social (Blue is the male) & Flame is the orange & black one that's a girl. Blue likes to walk on you and will eat out of our hands but Flame is very crazy & runs. The are on a veggi diet...I'm a veggie eater myself so they get some good stuff.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

OK

Hello,

OK, excellent on the huge enclosure for them. They should be fine then. Are you planning on breeding them? They will breed eventually. That is something that you should think about, maybe you could put a divider in there to keep them from breeding eventually, & or prematurely.
    Your husbandry is fine. They are very new to their surroundings, so, just give them a bit more time.
    If they are starting to eat a bit more, then, that is a good sign. They stress out quite a bit when brought home initially so that is more than likely what you are are dealing with.
    You have had them for almost 2 weeks now, so, they should be starting to calm down with a bit of handling. Keep trying. Offer veggies from your hands, & that may entice them to visit more.
    Let me know how things are going.
    Tracie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. UroTamer

UroTamer Embryo

RE: OK

I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but this is the time of the year for Uros to go into brumation. Sort of a semi-hibernation. Many say you need to change their conditions for them to do this, yet mine did it on their own. Only my baby hasn't done so yet.

During this time it is not unusual for them to 'sleep' for (with mine) up to 2 weeks without seeing them. They ocassionally come out to nibble and bask, but then return to their hides again. One has been doing this for about 3 months now which is unusual considering it started before the season it should have. I attribute this to the change in hide from birdseed substrate to a natural mix of sand, peat, potting soil, and birdseed. I specifically built it to allow them to burrow and brumate for winter.

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point, but they should come up to bask and snack soon I would expect.

Please keep us posted,

Kenn / UroTamer

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. UroTamer

UroTamer Embryo

RE: OK

I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but this is the time of the year for Uros to go into brumation. Sort of a semi-hibernation. Many say you need to change their conditions for them to do this, yet mine did it on their own. Only my baby hasn't done so yet.

During this time it is not unusual for them to 'sleep' for (with mine) up to 2 weeks without seeing them. They ocassionally come out to nibble and bask, but then return to their hides again. One has been doing this for about 3 months now which is unusual considering it started before the season it should have. I attribute this to the change in hide from birdseed substrate to a natural mix of sand, peat, potting soil, and birdseed. I specifically built it to allow them to burrow and brumate for winter.

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point, but they should come up to bask and snack soon I would expect.

Please keep us posted,

Kenn / UroTamer