Veiled chameleon enclousure

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by reptilekid12, May 15, 2009.

1. reptilekid12

reptilekid12 Embryo

HEY,
    I have an empty enclousure and i was thinking about purchasing a chameleon.
    the tanks size is:
    height 22 inch
    depth 22 inch
    width 18 inch
    is it enough for the chaeleons whole life?
    The problem is that its a glass tank, even thou it has ventaltion im not sure if its OK.
    Commet please,
    Thanks, Ari Amitai
    Isreal

P.S: if this tank is not good please tell me the sizes i need and ill order a screen enclousure...
    P.SS: Can i put a baby chameleon in a large tank that will last for his whole life or do i need to start with a small one and get a bigger tank when the cham grows.
    Pics of the tank(it was for my geckos once, its empty now....):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Heika

Heika Moderator

Hey Ari,

That cage isn't big enough for an adult veiled. The glass isn't ideal, either. If it had more ventilation and was a lot larger, it might work out alright. Minimum cage size for adult veileds should be closer to 36X18X18, the height more important than the width and depth. Preferred size would be 48X24X24.. or larger.

You can pick up nice screened cages for pretty cheap now. Here are a couple links:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptil...um-screen-cage/
    http://www.cages.net/

LLL has 48x24x24 on sale right now for $79.00. Cages.net is a bit more expensive, but the cages are really nice and you can substitute standard small mesh aluminum for a larger coated mesh. Much gentler on cham feet. I own a couple of these, and they are the nicest prebuilt cages I own.

Don't forget to buy a nice UVB light.. I like Reptisun 5.0's. And, a handheld mister with a pump makes the 3 times daily ritual of misting the cage for 15-20 minutes at a time easier. You can pick one of these up at almost any garden supply center.. they should be cheap this time of year.

I like to put young chameleons in size-appropriate cages so that they have an easier time of finding food.

Heika