venomous section please!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by Bodie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Bodie

Bodie New Member

I think it would be amazing if we had a section on the forum on venomous species..snakes and lizards.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

that would be cool. i don't own any venomous animals at all but i am facinated with them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

That would be great!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Looking through general snakes and general lizards there just isnt enough threads about venomous to warrant a forum just for that at this time.

We are always open to making new forums but there has to be a strong interest shown before we will.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I still think that just because it's not here, people are reluctant to post in the general section because you don't get any real feedback there... and therefore it's either turning those people away or they just don't post about venomous because of that... I know I don't post about mine just because I don't have anywhere to post them...

and really what I don't understand, is that anytime there's just someone that doesn't keep reptiles that brings up reptiles, the venomous ones are the first ones (and generally the only ones) talked about... you know what I mean? If we're trying to grow the reptile community and grow "general reptile knowledge", I think it's terrible we don't have a section for venomous reptiles... I get questions about rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths all the time and I think there are more people on here than just me that get that... so we need a place for people to learn about them... how can you have a reptile community with no venomous?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

If enough support is shown to warrant a venomous section I'm all for it but again the need must be there.

12. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Blake,

You bring up a couple of valid points. I will toss the idea around with the admins and mods and see what everyone thinks.

13. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

A few other sites I am on have venemous sections and they dont get used as much as other but when they do its usually pretty interesting. I am not an owner of venemous but I say there should be one added. Always love learning new things!

14. Blake_Herman

thanks shrap, I'm still hoping for it... and I'm trying to get some support on it just because I know people would look through it and use it if it were here... every other forum that I'm a part of has one, but this one is by far the largest and I think it would be a great addition here... could we maybe do a trial run with it if you guys are still not sure??

15. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

here is a valid point there is no venomous section......... people keep venomous reptiles..............this is a reptile forum.... or else people will just go to another forum for their venomost forums it's really a question of whether or not this forum wants to stay up along side the others or lag behind.... But i still say there should be a place for venomous and large snakes all reptile keeps shall be treated equal and treated to a forum about what they keep.

16. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

and once again I will state how pointless it is to have a forum dedicated to one snake and only one snake but one for grouping all the venomous reptiles of the world in to one forum is not here nor one for about the 5 species of large snakes but we got one for ball pythons......... a forum for one snake.

17. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

The reason we have a forum for BPs is because of the popularity of the species. How do you suggest the forum sorting should be changed (keep in mind server load is already high and we receive next to no donations)

18. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

venomous

well I would do away with a couple of the useless forums (I would have to review them to see) I would swap out the ball python forum for a small to medium sized python forum add a large python/boa (can't forget the anacondas) and put a venomous reptile forum up also...... there is plenty of room for other pythons in the ball python forum....... but I don't run this forum. But if i was guarenteed an internet connection at all times I would heh.......................not a word Blake.........

19. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

RE: venomous

not run this forum but a forum (just wanted to clarify)

20. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

also i would like to add there are only 5 orums for all the snakes....... and 7 for lizards most of them for a particular species not to mention 4 seperate forums for geckos and only geckos.........

21. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I have stated my opinion on this before and I will say it again as this discussion seems to come up every few months. This forum is great b/c it is concise and well organized. The separate forums have been created based on need and popularity. I personally check out all the various forums and post in the ones dedicated to the reptiles I keep. I think that any reptile that is not being represented on the boards and that would generate enough posts to make the room worthwhile, should have a room. However, I hate those sites that have a room for everything and consequently, a ton of empty rooms. Some sites have so many empty rooms that with time I stop going into the ones that I don't personally keep because there are too many, and that is not fun. This is not a democracy - it is not about how many snake versus lizard forums there are, it is about what members are keeping and what they would like to post on. If there are enough posters to keep a venomous room busy, I think it is a good idea. I would be interested in reading those posts too. However, if it is going to be empty, then what is the point? It would just take away from the integrity of the site (integrity of the site as I see it, for IMO this site is good b/c it is organized and active, as I have stated this above and many times before). In terms of swapping out the ball python forum, that place is packed! Why add more snakes to a room that is sufficiently full on its own? That would be like adding the General Geckos to the Leopard Geckos forum - sure there are not a ton of general gecko posts, but there are 10-30 leopard gecko posts a day and adding in other geckos would muddle it. Anyways, just stating my opinion here b/c I really do like this site and I think its organization is central to its appeal. Let's just hope that the mods find that there are enough venomous keepers out there to give us some interesting reading! :D

22. Blake_Herman

I still feel like the reason there is a lack of venomous people on here and a lack of posts from the ones that are that keep venomous is that there isn't a place to post them. I don't disagree at all with you on the gecko forums and I think the ball python forum is one of the top rooms used, so I think that's a well placed division. But venomous just don't fit in anywhere else in the forum. They aren't simply "general snakes" and the posts that are there for venomous don't get the responses they should because no one looks for it there...

and most of all, I don't know how we're supposed to gain more members that keep venomous without a section for them to post in. As for now, I have to go to other forums for my venomous posts, and I just wish I didn't have to do that...

the bottom line is that venomous posts and a venomous section go hand-in-hand. you can't expect one without the other... so I think if there becomes a section for it, more will show up...

23. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

24. Blake_Herman

thank you cheri, that's all I'm wanting... I will gladly back off if it doesn't work...