viv mates?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by adeuk, Aug 21, 2007.

1. adeuk

adeuk New Member

hi there i have a 6x2x2 viv which i will be putting a beardy into it will only be a baby but what i would like to know is would he get on ok with a small tortoise?
    i also have a hermans which is about 4" id like to keep them together and as the temps are around the same point and there is a lot of space and temp gradient in the viv will they fight?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

I already answered this in the beardie forum. You don't want to mix them they have different housing and enviroment requirements, not to mention other possible parasitic, virus and disease transfer. see http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-47163.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

Each Reptile should have its own enclosure.But my question is why you would whant to put them in the same enclosure.I did not understand you.I think you ment you wanted to house two tortoises together if so this will proably not work well unles they are a diffrent sex and same species but this will still not work well because the female may have egg binding or is stressed from being with the boy all the time.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. baskingshells

baskingshells Embryo

They won't fight, but don't keep them together. They will give each other diseases and parasites and need different things in an enclosure. You'll just end up with a fortune in vet bills and two unhappy herps.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Don't bearded dragons carry coccidia as part of their normal intestinal flora? Tortoises don't, and can quickly go downhill (health wise) if they get it.
    Hopefully the original poster is also making sure to thoroughly wash their hands between handling animals.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

We came on to strong...Sorry aduek didn't meen to scare you away.