Vivarium size for a carpet python?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by hunders, Jan 14, 2007.

1. hunders

hunders New Member

Is a vivarium with the dimensions of 48" Long x 23" High x 15" Deep big enough to house a full grown Carpet Python? I will probably be getting a Jungle.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

23" high may prove to be difficult to heat and maintain a good gradient. 48" long is perfect, 15" deep is do-able but you are looking at about a 6-7' (or bigger) snake. I'm in the throws of planning out my IJ's adult cage and the recommendations I'm getting for him are 48 long x 24 deep x at least 15 high with a Radiant Heat Panel for heat. Now, that actually is probably large for a 5' Irian Jaya but Jungles are bigger so I should think it would be a good size for it. They will utilize the 'up' space, they are semi-arboreal, but again it's going to be hard to heat. I am probably going to get a Boaphile cage (48x24x17.5) and a Pro-heat RHP for him, that should prove to be more than enough room, plenty of 'up' space and will be easily heat-able.
    Breeders do successfully keep them in much smaller rack systems, but if this is a pet and space is not an object then you want to give him all you can so he'll be happy! A young snake can be kept in a 10 gallon tank for quite a while, too much space can be stressful for them (any snake really).
    I've rambled a bit, but after asking a million questions and gathering as much information as I could, that is what I have learned about housing spoiled pet Carpets :D