Want a boa, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Janice, Jun 27, 2005.

1. igot_dragon

igot_dragon New Member

Its not like your going to have a HUGE problem if you go with a rainbow boa... you should know that if she gets a rainbow boa she will be on here all teh time ALL "TEH" TIME and she won't have troubles because she will be able to ask anyone on here what to do. As long as she can get the basic right i don't think she would have trouble with it. Same with the ATB i mean if you meet the right requirements you can take care of it janice... ATB are "KNOWN" to be unpleasent but aq docile one is not unheard of. Any serious problem that you would have would be just as common if you got a rosy boa. I know someone close to belleville with an ATB and gadd19 is getting one really soon. If you have any problem with either of the snake reptileroom members will be glad to help as well as any of us hastings/pe county guys... go with the snake you want the most because that will be the snake you will have the best experience with... your not as big of a beginner as you think

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

and you guys will there everytime she needs to take it out of the cage if she's scared to death of it after it bites her? I think your advice in this case is not well thought out.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

wreckwriter, I think he is just trying to help...IGOT, I'll just come over to gadd19's when he gets his, and check it out. You guys are youngins, and it's hard for an old lady like me, so set in her ways, to get over the natural girly scare of having a snake. Wreckwriter has seen all my 'too scared to handle my cornsnake' posts, LOL. I think I need a few years experience before getting anything bigger.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I know he's trying to help, I'm just trying to make sure there's a good perspective kept :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. gadd19

gadd19 Member

no disrespect wreckwriter, but i totally agree with igot. if janice is willing to spend time taming, and meeting the requirements for whichever snake she decides to get, she should have no problems. sure, she may get a snake bite here and there, but it will calm down. Janice, go with what you want. dont decide on something just because it is easier to take care of than another. if your willing to take the time and house it properly, youll be fine.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

That's your perogative, I'm far from always right. The problem that I see is the "snake bite here and there" part. If she's up for that then I agree with you.

12. Janice

I'm a bit impulsive when it comes to animals, and it's hard to control sometimes. "I want it now". But if given enough time, somebody can usually talk me out of doing something really stupid. I do want another snake. The ball python is technically my husbands snake, and the corn snake, is just kinda there, the poor thing. We feed it and clean it's cage, and give it fresh water everyday, but it really isn't 'one of our kids', yet. I want a snake that I picked out, and that is mine. I really like the corn snake, and I just have to get over being so apprehensive. I'll surprise you one day, wreckwriter, and post a big pic of me holding him, I promise.

13. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I'd love to see that Janice! Once you decide to do it the first time it'll become no big deal even if you do get nipped.

14. gadd19

gadd19 Member

wreckwriter, you put on the first page that snake bites are a part of snake keeping, which i feel is true. and janice should know that too, and should take that into concideration before keeping any snakes at all! (which i think she did)

15. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I know gadd, my whole argument here is based on her being afraid of the corn snake. If it wasn't for that I would be in complete agreement with her getting a larger and "more advanced" snake.

16. gadd19

gadd19 Member

yes, but. she wants to step it up with the snake keeping, thats what this whole post is about. so, all i am saying is if she wants a snake, and she reads up on that inparticular species, and takes the necessary actions, she shouldnt have a problem. i dont think she should have to stick to the "simpler" snakes, just because of the "ease of keeping."

17. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

18. Janice

Now, boys, quit fighting over me, LOL!!! I totally understand what you guys are both saying. Wreckwriter, is thinking, if she's afraid of an itty bitty corn snake, what will she be like with a beast of a boa? I'm just being silly, and damnit, I'm going home and I'm gonna pick up that corn snake!!!!

19. Janice

Really, I've been bitten a few times by a rat protecting her babies, why am I scared of a corn snake, that in all likelyhood, won't even bit me.

20. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Go for it Janice!

21. Janice

22. liza714

liza714 Member

Janice aside from the ease of caretaking I would still advise against an ATB. Yes they are pretty and some may even be docile but the local herp store has a medium sized one right now (a little over 2ft) and it bit one of the employees and tore his hand up. Question for the ATB crowd are their teeth larger than other boas? Does the bite hurt more. As I have seen how much you research your animals I would recommend a Rainbow Boa. Still wondering why you would want a muddy Colombian LOL. Really tho the size difference is small between BRBs and CRBs especially if you DO NOT power feed. If size is a big concern just make sure you get a guaranteed male. You might pay a little more because the snake has to be a little older to be probed acurately but you will save as much as 3 feet in length. Cabo is definetly a boy, is 5 months old now, 32+ inches and at his widest point hes about as big around as a cigar and hes still never even tried to bite.

[​IMG]

Another thing, when someone has a bit of a phobia (sorry if I am overstating youre fear Janice) you dont just throw them in. For example someone who is scared of spiders shouldnt go get a tarantula.

23. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Good points Liza. Yes, tree boas have longer teeth, designed for eating birds.

24. Janice

wreckwriter, I picked up our cornsnake last night. No big deal. :D

25. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Where's the pic?

Anywho, good for you. Keep up the good work!