Wanting to buy a russian tortoise.

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nickasouras, Jan 22, 2006.

1. nickasouras

nickasouras Member

RE: Re: RE: Wanting to buy a russian tortoise.

alright didn't get it for b-day, but i am for sure getting one i have started with the outdoor pen, it is 12' x 9' (is that big enough for two?). i am makeing the walls out of brick, it takes longer than you think, i finished the whole wall, then i started playing basketball i missed the shot, the bal rolled at a good speed nailed the wall, and the thing i had spent all day leveling and laying out was ruined, so this upcoming weekend i will restack it and lay some moretar in between each layer, like a house.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nickasouras

nickasouras Member

i have finished the wall, and am now Digging the interior, (rufly 50/50 sand loam mixture with about a fourth of the sand being replaced by peat moss.) about one ft. deeop inside the cage, i am yo0using the left over dirt for some mounds, and i still have to lay concrete around the where the fence is so the turtle cannot climb out (only three walls are brick, the other wall is a divider fence), once i get done with that and the heat deck it should be about ready.

so finaly a question: is this emncloser (12' x 9') big enough for two, or three, or four, or just for one?

and one more: are russian tortoises social? if yes it will not change may view on the size of cage needed for one (6'x6').

thanks, nick

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

a 12'x9' would be good for more then one tort as long as there is enough food in there for them all. tortoises eat a lot and although russians are small they still have quite and appetite. as long as you have suffecient amounts of food in the enclosure if you want four then get four. as for social, no reptile is really social; but i have realized from working with tortoises that they do seem to enjoy interaction with pretty much anything so having a friend for your little one couldn't hurt.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nickasouras

nickasouras Member

i know its been a while but i got my torts a couple weeks ago, two males, WC, roughly 4-5 in. eating well pooping every day, it hasnt been exsactly ideal weather since they got here, and i need to redig thier cage and re-loaminize it, hehe. here is my feeding schedual, they graze in thiere cage for a full week until friday, and then they get some dusted greens, such as endive, kale, mustard greens,and some other leefy plant that i also use fo pedro, my beardie, and they eat that like it was the last bit of foods on earth.

i dust with herptivite, with added beta carotine and multi vitamins, and calcium w/D3 both re-cal.

thanx everyone.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nickasouras

nickasouras Member

hersm the pics i took of them.
    [​IMG]
    this is trogdor, eating some baby tomatoes.
    [​IMG]
    this is jrtomr (jer-tom-er) eating some baby tomatoes.

they are eating like crazy, and they seem like the best of freinds, they just follow eachother around all day. and when it is too hot out the go into the hide i made, and every hour or two the switch look out. trogdor is a little older, and he definatly acts like it.usualy he takes first watch, then they rotate. and when they eat they eat untill they are full not untill one of them sais the other is full.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. micky_sueee

micky_sueee Embryo

etc.

Some things that help (take it or leave it) : I like the biggest rubbermaid containers you can find. they're really light and easy to clean... I also sprinkle rep-cal multivitamins and calcium supplements on my tortoises food. Its surprising what a difference it makes, available at some pet stores. Also, one of the most important things I can say in reguards to your tortoises health is to buy the correct lighting. You need to find a bulb that provides UVA, UVB, and also has enough wattage to produce heat. Usually you have to find these ones ordered offline or from specialized stores. A tortoise going without good lighting and heating is like a human going without water.
    :(

12. nickasouras

nickasouras Member

RE: etc.

yep, i got it covered, i have two 50 gal. rubbermaids, hooked together for the both of them, and a t-rex active uvheat 160 watt.