WARNING TO ALL BEARDIE OWNERS!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Sandy_Is_My_Beardie, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Sandy_Is_My_Beardie New Member

A few days ago, I had a 3 1/2 year old Beardie that died a slow and painfull death. :cry: One day, he started opening his mouth open really wide and shaking his body back and fourth. We had no clue what it was. Later that day, we noticed some brown things in his mouth. We got 3 of the brown things out with tweezers. They were wood chips. Because my Beardie ate wood chips, I had to watch him die. It was the saddest day of my life. This is a warning to watch your Beardie closely if he in in a cage with wood chips.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vultykins

vultykins New Member

I dont think you'll find any argument here. Anyone here that hasnt had a similar experience knows someone who did. I had a baby beardy die from impaction after he ate the f***ing vita-sand petco told me to buy with him. This is why we argue VERY strongly against ANY particulate substrate with dragons. There will always exist the risk of impaction, which is what kills most dragons in the wild, and it is not worth the risk just to enjoy watching them dig.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Well I think that the sand should be ok because that is what is in their natural desert environment. They ate it in the desert and im sure it didnt do anything there. I keep my baby Beardie in sand and he loves it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

Actually no, sand isn't ok. Not for babies. Baby beardies can die of sand impaction too. You cannot compare it to their desert environment, if you do you also have to compare the survival rate, which is low. They can die from impaction just as easily in the wild. You must also consider that the sand is compact and hard, not loose like what you have in the cage.

Personally, I wouldn't even recommend sand for adults. it's just not worth it.

Please, for your new beardie's sake, put it on paper towels.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

What about Calcium Sand?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

Even worse. That's the stuff Vultykin's dragon died from. What makes it worse is that being calcium the dragons actually CRAVE it and are tempted to eat more. Then it clumps inside their body rather than Digesting like they advertise.

No, the only truly safe options for a baby dragon are paper towels, unprinted newspaper, or non-adhesive shelf liner. Vultykins said it best....

12. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Ok. I think Ill use paper towels. How do I put the paper towels in there? Do I cut it up?

13. kephy

kephy Moderator

No, just lay them down flat, like a blanket. The only problem is, crickets can hide under them, so when you offer crickets in his cage you have to dig them all out from hiding afterwards. That's why I like the shelf liner, they can't hide under it and it's reusable. I bought 2 sheets of it in January and haven't had to replace them since.

14. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Well if I taped all the sides down from underneath, they wouldnt be able to hide. How much was your shelf liner? Is shelf liner that turf stuff?

15. kephy

kephy Moderator

You can tape down the sides, just remember you might be changing it daily so that might be a pain.

The shelf liner is only about $5 a roll, which depending on the size of the tank should make about 1-2 sheets. You want the non-adhesive kind, it's like a flat sheet of rubber. The brand I recommend is Duck, you can usually find it at Wal-Mart. When the lizard goes to the bathroom you just wipe it with a wet paper towel, and about once or twice a month you can run it through the washing machine with a little bleach and soap, rinse a couple times, hang to dry overnight and use it again. That's why I recommend having enough for 2 sheets, so that you have a fresh one ready to go at any time. It's really simple, and I think it looks nice, too.

[​IMG]

16. Leezard

Leezard New Member

The shelf liner you can use is non-adhesive and you can buy at a Walmart or a hardware store. Same stuff that you may use to line your shelves at home.

That's what I use- and it's easy clean up, and a great environment for your beardie!!

17. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Shelf liner ROCKS!! I use it for my beardies, blue tongued skink and now my 2 brand new cresed geckos!! I'm seriously considering trying it for my pythons as well.

18. Leezard

Leezard New Member

Now I'm slow Kephy!

19. ziggy

ziggy New Member

i use paper pallets and ziggy seems fine with it, hes tried eating it once and it digested fine, he likes diggin in it, easy to clean poop off and cheap

20. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Do you have a pic of it?

21. ziggy

ziggy New Member

yepp here

[​IMG]

22. ziggy

ziggy New Member

just copy the url

23. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

by anychance is that a rock wall from bigappleherps.com in the back of the tank? and if so how is that? also nice looking beardie and setup

24. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Ok thanks. I got some shelf liner but you wont how I got it... I cut some off of a shelf in my kitchen. It works and its alot cheaper lol. :)

25. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Is it ok if it still smells a little like bleach after I wash it?