WARNING TO ALL BEARDIE OWNERS!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Sandy_Is_My_Beardie, Oct 10, 2004.

1. tygar

tygar Embryo

Hello.

If you decide to use the shelf liner for your snakes, let me know how it works. I have considered it for my snakes also, because I really love the way it has been working for my beardie.

Thanks, in advance...

Mindy :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

Ever hear the phrase "there's a first time for everything?"

Think of it like a heart attack. You spend years and years eating a poor diet, building up cholesterol in your arteries. You may say everyday "I eat junk, but look at me I'm perfectly healthy!" Then one day your heart stops working and you realize too late your were wrong. That's what calcium sand does in a lizard's digestive tract. This is a fact.

How is wiping up poo with a paper towel more of a hassle than scooping it up with a net? And is pulling out a sheet of liner, throwing it in the washer, and throwing a clean one in really more of a hassle than removing all the sand from your tank and disinfecting it 1-2 times a month? I don't even have to disinfect nearly as much, because the shelf liner doesn't promote bacteria like sand. It only takes me 5 minutes to change out my substrate on a regular basis, how long does it take you?

Well, they're your pets, not mine. I hope for all of you that the luck holds up. :?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Sandy_Is_My_Beardie New Member

Well said Kephy!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

Ok....tell me this jasper....why pay like 25 bucks for like 15 pounds when you could buy 50 pounds of play sand that is perfectly safe for adults for 2.89? Play sand is different from vita sand, vita sand has dyes, and they have the calcium that encourages the beardies to eat it and it is made to clump up when it is pooped on, well when it goes to the beardies stomach, it clumps and they are impacted which can result in paralasis or even death. I highly suggest you change him off of Vita sand, I was once ignorant like you once (yes i'll admit it) and I had vita sand but I would see the sand colors embed themselves in his scales, and his poop would have th colors of the sand in it, Play sand is MUCH safer, but shelf liner is just as cheap and even safer than play sand. Just consider what I and most of the forum are trying to tell you...VITA SAND SUCKS MONKEY! woo!
    -mike

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

If you read through this topic, you will see that I also thought the sand was perfect. I switched because I had a beardie die of impaction except the bedding was wood chips. The sand can do the same thing. Like you, Jasper, I thought that I had nothing to worry about. I regret it so much because I lost a beardie because of it. I highly recomend getting the shelf liner. It is real cheap and it works great. I love it and I thought I would hate it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Don't mind if I chime in here do ya?

A couple thing that ticks me off to no end is pet store and show dealers with their bins of baby beardies on sand. Most of these beardie will die from impaction. If and I really mean IF you want to have your beardie on sand Only use non silica sand similar to play sand. Do Not put a beardie on sand until its close to a year of age. And adult beardie can pass sand granule similar to play sand. Doe4s that mean Sand is the right thing to use for Beardies... NO. My adults are on turf. Washes clean no worries of impaction.

Cleaning the cages is something else I saw discussed. Bleach is acceptable in a 5% mixture with water. Remember too much Bleach CAN be toxic. make sure you rinse everything off well with clean water.
    A great alternative to Bleach is Nolvasan. thats the blue stuff your vet(I hope you have a vet) uses to clean the tables with. You can get a gallon from Beanfarm. Its concentratred so you only use a table spoon for a large spray bottle. Some Great things about Nolvasan are it has a nice clean smell not overpowering, its not harmful if consumed vets use it to wash out infections at times, You wont get any more bleach spots on your clothes when you clean your cages.lol

Ok enough from me.lol

12. jasper56

jasper56 Embryo

Iv had 5 bearded dragons. One lived for 9 or 10 years, and iv always used sand. The three that i have are 2,3,6. All have been on sand their hole life and have had absolutly no problems. Why should i change? Dealing with Bearded Dragons for 21 years, and never having a problem leaves me too belive i dont have too. Every breeding place you go too what do they use? Sand. I guess its just personal preference. Every care sheet you look at says to use sand. How am I ignerent. Have any of you dealt with bearded dragons for 21 years?

13. kephy

kephy Moderator

Hey that's great! I guess a few days of working with it convinced you how much simpler and cleaner it can be. :D

14. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Is sand ever REALLY clean? not being funny but think about it. With crix, roaches, or other insects, at times running aropund the cage. They deficate in the sand, or worse can lay eggs in the sand if they bury themselves. Sure must will clump, but beardies like to dig, so Im sure some must get missed for a while.

For adult beardies sand is ok, but there are better choices. If your set in your ways then fine. just offering another angle.

15. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

Whenever you actually do have your first "problem", you will wish you listened to us. That is the problem... people think that since there hasnt been a problem that THERE WILL NEVER BE A PROBLEM. They will learn the hard way. I feel bad for the Beardies that will have to suffer from impaction like mine did. :D

16. jasper56

jasper56 Embryo

Actiolly crickets really done run around my cages. I put 2 at a time and they eat right away, there on the sand for a split second. So no it really doesnt infect anything. Every care sheet says to use sand. Iv used it for 21 years not once through all my beardies had a problem. When sand gets wet it clumps. But when it drys it unclumps. Belive me or not, but thats what vita sand does, iv has no problems for 21 years, and the way i take care of my beardies i wont let one die. If i notice one thing wrong, ill follow you guys up and put shelf liner in. But until then i will use sand.

17. Sandy_Is_My_Beardie

I have had Vita-Sand so I know exactially what it does. First off, the big climps dont unclump. They move to the bottom of the tank and I noticed that when I took all my sand out to switch to shelf liner. Second off, it especially doesnt unclump in the Beardies body. It gets stuck in all the cracks and builds up similar to a blood clot.

18. jasper56

jasper56 Embryo

Im not talking about in the beardies body. In the tank. Iv used sand for 21 years. Your like what 12? Have you had a beadie live 10 years? No. Im no stuburn on this subject because everyone i talk to, has had no problems. I have a friend that works at a reptile breeder, they tell all their custermers to use sand. They wouldnt use sand if its that bad. So when you have a beardie live 10 years, or handled them for 21 years, then you can try to say what works and what doesnt.

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm sorry, but age and experience only go so far. I know some 13 year olds who take better care of their reptiles than 40 year old men who've been keeping them for decades. Mainly because the adults often think they know better and aren't willing to change, while children are open minded and eager to learn. Kind of like older doctors who are set in their ways and unwilling to adjust to the newer and better techniques that are being developed everyday. I know that years ago when I got my first reptile, very little was known about proper husbandry. As time has passed I've seen so many improvements, pet reptiles as a whole are living longer. I will always support forward movements that make our pets safer and healthier.

I know lots of breeders who recommend sand. I know lots who don't. It's a personal preference and this is a debate that's been raging for years. As long as beardies occasionally die from sand impaction, you're gonna come across people who urge you not to use it. We only do so because we care. Please try to appreciate that, rather than belittle someone who's trying to help simply because they are younger than you.

20. Badger

Badger Embryo

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please Please Please !!!!!!

My beardie is on sand at this exact moment I have put my first message on I think page 2 of this forum topic please read it and give me an answer I desperately want to change but can't till I have an answer!!!!!!!!

:shock: :D :shock: :) :shock: :( :shock: :( :shock: :( :shock: :(

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

Sorry, I don't know where you can get it in England. The brand doesn't have to be Duck, any non-adhesive type shelf-liner will do. If you desperately want to get your beardie off sand, you could use paper towels for the time being.

And it costs about $5 US per roll.

22. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

$5 a roll for paper towels? Geez somoen has to teach you how to shop. lol or at least not buy paper towels at Neiman Marcus.lol

23. frogleggz

frogleggz Member

I think she meant $5 a roll for the shelf liner :D

24. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yeah, the shelf liner! lol

25. Badger

Badger Embryo

Thank you - as it happens my Aunty who lives in Ca in coming over in 2 weeks and staying all over christmas (oh my is it that time already?!?!?!?!?!) and she is going to smuggle some over in her suitcase - the lengths you go to for a beardie!!!!