Warning: You are being invaded by a Californian! :0

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by cd, May 9, 2004.

1. cd

cd Member

First off, I hope that I'm not in big trouble for posting in here (being from California and all... :shock: )
    :)
    I went to Tampa a while back with my boyfreind to visit his parents. I was soooo jealous of them! I got to see my first swamp, (very exciting from a desert girls perspective,) and they took me canoeing with with alligators and everything.
    I've got them addicted to reptiles, and I was wondering if you knew of any events or anything that they might not have heard of that I could reckomend. Or even any cool places in Florida that they could check out that has any cool wildlife. They are usually birding people, (which is cool too,) but I'm enjoying converting them to reptile people so we can have livlier conversation. (My bird knowledge sucks, and I'd love to have more to contribute when we share stuff we've seen.)
    Any ideas?
    -Thanks,
    -Cristine
    By the way, you guys are so lucky you live there! I would probably live there too, but I would have to drag my boyfreind back kicking and screaming. (He can't handle the weather.)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Myakka State Park would be a great place to go visit. They do boat rides, have walks you can do, and they have the largest wild population of gators in the world :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cd

cd Member

Thanks so much for the responce! But now I want to go....
    -Cristine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Meire

Meire New Member

Gator Land is a great place to visit if you are interested in gators. They have a ton of them there. Have fun when you come back! :p Hope you find some great places.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cd

cd Member

I love gators! It sounds like a great place, I would love to go. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to go to the bathroom right now, let alone all the way across the country. :p But until then, I'll at least let my boyfreind's parents know about it.
    Thanks so much for the imput!
    -Cristine

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

Big Cypress swamp, lotta snakes, rattlers, ratsnakes, watersnakes, ribbon, gater, basically every south FL snake. lotta turtles to (cotters, painted, box). gators, birds, and infested with frogs and amphiumas! mostly pig frogs, leopard, green tree, cuban, squirrel, some toads oh and sometimes panthers and bears, but the last two are rare and far back in the swamp (only seen 2 panthers and 4 bears). There are also many great state roads that cut through there (quiet, gravel state roads) that are great for night driving.

check out this site for all the parks, roads, preserves and good wildlife viewing places in the Everglades: http://southalley.com/everglades.html