Water dragon is VERY nervous around me!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by scottandhisdragons-), Sep 29, 2005.

1. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

Hi Everyone
    I need some advice - I have 2 water dragons both about 16 inches long. I think that makes them about a year old but i`ve only had them a few months. The problem is that one of them (the male) seems to be getting more and more afraid of me. The female that i bought first seems fine, she has no problem with me. The thing is when i bought the male he seemed alot darker than the female - i thought this was just the way it is but after reading into it i found that if they are dark it means they`re unhappy. Also he doesn`t seem to eat as much as the female and is alot thinner. I have also read that one dragon may be dominant over the other but i thought this was just between 2 males. please help.

*Has anybody got any suggestions as to how i can help my dragon overcome his fear of me??

Thanks Scott

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

You should probaley be really gentle, kind and make sure he is eating. My water dragon tends to go off in hide some where when he is hungry.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scottandhisdragons-)

I do - i`m really paranoid about crushing them as they feel so soft lol. I`ve tried something new tonight - i just left the vivarium open while i was on my computer and just waited for them to come out in their own time. This nearly worked as he came up to me but then ran away as soon as i moved. I think i`m making progress in this troubled relationship :) I`m sure he is eating as the mess must be coming from somewhere but i don`t think he eats when i`m there, he just hides behind a branch or rock.

*any more suggestions??

Thanks Scott

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

heres th problem... with both in one cage you dont know who is eating and who isnt... and the dominent thing could be a factor...you need to put them in seperate cages and see if he changes...and you can moitor his eating habits better...plus you wont have to worry about having little dragons..lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Ya my bearded dragon spent time with a dominant female in the petstore and got little food which made him always hiding but after she was bought and he got the whole cage to himself he became alot more tame by the time i came to buy him. I know its a different kind of lizard, but they are both dragons so they must be a bit similair?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. scottandhisdragons-)

I`m thinking of seperating them i have a friend that would love to have him - that way i get to make sure he`s well looked after. And ofcourse I could still use him to breed if i decide to go down that route in the future - obviously when i`m a bit more experianced. The only problem is it may be a while before my friend gets a viv so what i was thinking of doing was just getting a bigger vivarium and seeing if they are happier together in a bigger enviroment. I want to get a bearded dragon anyway so the other viv wont be empty.
    I`m a little bit worried as i`ve read that changing their enviroment alot cant seriously damage their health. If my friend does have him then it would mean its changed its vivarium 3 times within 3 months.

*Is this a good idea or would it be better just to leave them and hope the male adapts??

Thanks again guys Scott

12. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

My water dragon roams around my room, thats how most of the time he goes missing. But I always find him and it's been about four times it's happened and every things just fine. My baby such a little darling, he's also my best bud.

13. scottandhisdragons-)

Hi Just thought i`d post an update - got some good news :)

Yesterday I changed the substrate I was using from bark chippings to eco earth topped with spagham moss. I thought the humidity I had was fine until I got a hydrometer and found it was only at 30% when the reccomended levels I think are about 60 - 80%. My male dragon has rapidly changed its colour over night from dark brown to green and seems sooooooooooooo much happier. He even lets me pick him up without wriggling like mad. So glad I wont have to seperate them :)
    I still need to raise the humidity a bit more as its still about 50% having a few problems getting it right. I`ve placed an extra water dish by the heat lamp and I use the waterspray on the moss every chance I get. I can`t think of anything else I could do.

*Any suggestions??

Thanks for helping

Scott