Water dragon not eating crickets anymore

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by desertsun, Jan 3, 2005.

1. desertsun

desertsun Embryo

I've had my water dragon for about 3 years now, and it has always ate mostly crickets. I started feeding him banana occassionaly about 2 months ago since the guy at the pet store suggested it. It sure loves the banana.

Anyway, my water dragon has recently stopped eating crickets, and will only eat banana now. He has gone through periods before where he won't eat any crickets (sometimes lasting almost 2 weeks - but back then i never fed it banana). But this has been going on for maybe 3 weeks now.

Should I still be feeding him banana? or let him go hungry until he will start eating crickets again? A diet of banana alone surely can't be good for it.

Any suggesstions? thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Welcome to Reptile Rooms!
    Have you tried offering other types of insects.... meal worms, super worms, was worms, roaches? You could also try some other veggies as well.

Heres a link to a list of stuff for feeding a beardie, but similar items can be given to your water dragon.
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...-15-page-1.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dianedfisher

dianedfisher New Member

I think most CWD prefer a varied diet. I'm surprised it took your's 3 years to stage a revolt! Most of them prefer a diet of mealies, waxies (not too many-high in fat),earthworms, butterworms, hornworms, silkworms, grasshoppers, locusts and zophobas (superworms), pinkie or fuzzy mice (again, 1 per week as they are higher in fat content). My house looks like a bait store-but a lot of the food items are easily kept for months. I use 1 gallon ice cream containers. You can also buy a lot of these items in small lots at your local pet food store. I have also noticed that during the winter my dragons lower their overrall food consumption (but never for 3 weeks). Good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. desertsun

desertsun Embryo

lol

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried giving it a few other vegies and fruit, like apple and lettuce, but it doesn't go for that, unless I slip him a piece of apple in with the banana and he mistakes it. But I haven't tried any other insects.

I think i'll head to the pet store today and pick something else up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. yesITis

yesITis New Member

try a pinky mouse if he is big enough. My Friends adult male CWD gets real exited over pinkies!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

Stop feeding loads of banana takes out calcium in the diet (like spinach). Try more varied foodstuffs, silkworms, horned worms, stick insects, locusts, pinkie mice, garden spiders, moths, flies, whatever other insect that isn't poisonous. Also earth worms. He has probably grown sick of crickets! Like you would if you ate teh smae thing EVERY day. Giving loads of variety not only gives him more tastes and textures, but it also gives diff nutrients and also more stimulation. REMEMBER: We have the right to choose what we want to eat. Your water dragon doesn't. He gets given what you give him.

12. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

I`d agree with yesITis to try giving him a pinky once or twice a week. It should give him a protein and calcium boost. That may be what he needs if banana takes calcium out of the body.

13. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

Good going let me know how it goes.