water dragon or basilisk?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by theend882, Apr 26, 2005.

1. theend882

theend882 Member

im 13 n i building a 4'L x 2xW x 4H and want to no if this would be better for a basilisk or a water dragon?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nomad85

nomad85 Member

Basilisks arent very tame, if you can keep the humidity up a water dragon would make a better pet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. theend882

theend882 Member

ok thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bactmike

bactmike Embryo

Well, I've got 4 waterdragons and I've had up to seven at one time. However, I've been wanting a basilisk for a while. Tough call, but either way sounds like your building a decent sized cage. One idea for the cage: we used pvc pipes and attached outdoor carpeting to it by using hot glue guns. The lizards absolutely love these for climbing. There are a huge variety of different sizes that you could use and they can be placed in any spot. I highly recommend them.

cheers, mike

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theend882

theend882 Member

i think if i put carpet in the tank my room would smell like wet carpet cuz of the humidity lvl but thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bactmike

bactmike Embryo

that's why you use "outdoor" carpeting; it works very well actually. Go to home depot and check some out and you'll see what I mean.

-mike

12. susyq

susyq Member

water dragons grow to 3 feet in length and require a 6 foot long viv when adult, they are also arboreal so you need some height as well around 3 foot minimum. hope this helps :)

13. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

Ideally it would be 3'wX3'dX5' or close. They like to climb and do need the length of their bodies. You need a waterproof bottom on your enclosure with at least four inches around/up the sides, or you will have a mildewy moldy stinky mess ;o)

14. MyDragonKills

MyDragonKills Embryo

if you have a basilisk you wont be really able to take it out of your tank until is about a year old. or atleast i wouldnt suggest it. they are very very hard to tame. and they are very delicate at their when they are long. the squirmy and go crazy if you dont know how to pick them up or hold them. my basilisk stll trys to bite me when i handle him. hes also very protective of my water dragons. (they live together) i would suggest a water dragon. and not just any water dragon. you are going to want to shop around. some are crazy and some are very tame. find one that when you go to the pet store you can hold him and he will sit on your arm without him freaking out.