water dragon question?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by marbledsalamanderbreeder, Oct 22, 2004.

1. marbledsalamanderbreeder

marbledsalamanderbreeder New Member

What temperature does the water and air have to be for water dragons?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ziggy

ziggy New Member

not sure but thats a nice salamander

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Beautiful Salamander Pic in your sig there :D

Anyhow, on to your question: Day time temps for the Chinese Water Dragon are recommended to be anywhere from 80--88 degrees for ambient air temperature with a basking spot (preferably on a high rock or branch) that is from 90-95 degrees. The water temps should be in the low 80's (most people just use lukewarm water and let it adjust to the ambient tank temp) Night time temps are a bit less. Recommended night time temps range from low 70's to low 80's, I prefer to have my night time temps between 72- and 75 degrees.

Another thing I usually address when talking about temps is humidity. I use a moss and bark substarte and a mister bottle (like a squirt bottle) to keep my humidity up at the moment. Humiity should usually be maintaned from 60% on up as high as you would like to take it. The general rule of thumb I have found is within 70%-80% is best.

Anyhow hope some of this info helps, if you have not chgecked out Tricia's Water Dragon sight I would definitley recommend it. the url is:
    http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/dragoncr.htm

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. marbledsalamanderbreeder

Thank you I breed them.
    Any way thank you for the advice but for the humidity would a fogger do or is that too much and also if i use a squirt bottle about how many squirts a day should i give? One more thing my friend/partner uses a blanket to cover the tank air holes but not all so the hot air wouldnt escape i said just to get a bigger lamp for it you can contact him by shanebehling@hotmail.com or here his screen name is waterdragonbreeder.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. waterdragonbreeder

waterdragonbreeder New Member

marbeledsalamanderbreeder you don't seem to be getting many answers all you seem to be getting is i want that salamander replies

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Here is a pic of how my setup looks right now, you may wish to do something similar or different, I just throw it up to show you how I use a towel to keep heat and humidity in my tank without putting my dragon at risk (whihc you can if you keep it covered and not observe a few basic principles)

[​IMG]

Notice how I have a towel (whihc is wetted down 2 times a day with a light misting from the squirt bottle) over the left hand 1/4 or so of the cage? I usually roll one corner back so that there is a hole for excess moisture and heat to escape also. It helps to keep warmer moist air in but still allow some circulation. This is a perfectly fine thing to do if your ambient and basking temps are at the correct levels. If your temps are on a bit higher (like if you use a largeer lamp) you will cook your WDs so always take temps in a few different places in the tank when first setting this up or ANY time you chnage anything in the tank or its setup. To keep humidity up I usually spray the entire substrate (what kind of substrate makes big difference) with the bottle 3 or 4 times day and and mist the towle and the fake plant at the same time (Dragons like to lap dew off the plant for water alot of the time) I use a humidity gauge to make sure it falls in the target level (target is 60-80% or so) Hope that works for ya. Again Tricia's WD sight has all this info

12. marbledsalamanderbreeder

Thank you very much. But i just have two more questions what size does the tank have to be for a male and female? Also what watt does the light bulb have to be and that is my last question?

13. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Ok, I have coverd this in at least 2 other threads. Please look around on this forum when you get a moment I think you'll find alot of your questions are asked by your partner and answered in kind by me or others... :)

Ok the general guidelines is take the length of your animal (a full grown male is 3 feet, or 36 inches) and times it by 2 to get your length for the cage. then height is generally as tall as the animal is long up to 2 times as tall as the animal is long. Widthof the cage is 3/4 of the animals length to the entire animals length. so, using this formula, an ideal water dragon cage which could house male or female full grown dragons comfortably would be: 72 inches long x 72 tall x 36 inches wide OR 6 foot x 6 foot x 3 foot.

14. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Bulb wattages are gonna have to be played with a bit, there is no hard and fast rule for them. I would suggest have 2 thermometers on hand or one if you have a infared thermometer gun, and start out with a 75 watt incandescent or basking bulb. Place the lamp over your intened basking spot and place a thermometer on the basking spot in the middle of where the light falls and another about a foot away from the basking spot. Wait 1/2 and hour and check temps. If the basking spot is 90-95 degress and the other thermometer shows 82-88 or so you are all set. If the basking thermometer shows less you'll need a stronger wattage bulb, try a 100watt. If the basking spot is fine and the other spot is cooler you may want to consider some heating options like another light, a ceramic heater or a undertank heater to get ambient temps up to par. Also a higher wattage bulb can be used if connected to a rheostat to lower the heat output, hope this all helps

15. marbledsalamanderbreeder

Thank you for all of your help!