Water dragon Shedding

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by CaliBabi17, Dec 20, 2005.

1. CaliBabi17

CaliBabi17 New Member

Hey everyone!
    I have recently gotten a water dragon about almost 4 weeks or so ago, and he is shedding his skin and has been for awhile...how long do you think it should take until it is all done? Could it have anything to do w/ the enviornment its in? thx!!!

much love,
    Shawna

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bratspets

bratspets Member

Is it a Chinese Water Dragon?
    If he is in an environment that is too dry he will have trouble shedding.
    You can purchase a product called "Shed-ease" that may help, try a warm bath, mist his enclosure more often. Just don't pull the old skin off. Make sure he has things to help rub it off in his enclosure.

Tell us more about his setup:
    tank size, water, humidity, lighting, feeding, temperatures, etc.

Here is a couple care sheets you might like to read:
    http://www.reptileallsorts.com/waterdragon-cs.htm
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/snake.man/Lizards/Problems.htm

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Posting in the proper forum might help for responses (Water Dragons) :). A moderator will probably move this.
    Misting him and his enclosure as Bratspets suggested is a good idea.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Good call, Janice. Moving this to the proper forum now.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CaliBabi17

CaliBabi17 New Member

tank size is 20 gallon his water is in a big holder (pretty deep), humidity-60-80%(mostly between 75) but when i first got him i didnt know he needed that much.lighting, i just have a heat light and its not a UV ( i workin on gettin theright one today) I feed him crickets but he loves mealworms and has been eat okay...yesterday he ate very good. The temp i keep around 82-88 or so during day and 78-80 at night ( cuz my temp isnt a digital yet.).....and i have the bottom half paper towl and lizard litter for now until i change tanks. ( he usually is up in the branches and plants when i feed him) -- oh and thx for movin the forum, wasnt sure where ta put it. THX! **<3**

Shawna

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. waterdragons2

waterdragons2 New Member

What I do to help my babies shed is take them into the bathroom inside a kritter keeper, pour a small amount of warm water into the tank so that it's about half-way up their bodies and then turn the shower on hot on full blast and close the door while I'm cleaning up the cage/changing water/etc. It seems to help a lot.

Ideally, shedding should finish within 24 hrs.

12. bratspets

bratspets Member

The steam is good, that's like 100% humidity!

13. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

Reptile bath has worked quite well for my wd. I use it in a warm bath and i dilute a small amount in a spray bottle and spray it onto her every few hours.

14. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

Does anyone know around what age they first shed? And when they are two months old, what's the average frequency?

15. Kirstie

Kirstie New Member

i went through this before too mist his cage with water do this about every 3 hours or so
    that might help or soak him or her in nice warm water. 8)

16. geckotlc

geckotlc New Member

I let mine swim around in the tub in warm water, and after they've soaked for a while and softened up their skin, I VERY GENTLY stroke them with a q-tip to help remove the skin. Just be VERY careful if you do this, because if the skin comes off before it's ready (picture pulling off a scab or something) it can cause scale and skin damage.