Water Dragon vs. Iguana ???

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by bluesquirrely4, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

My sister in law wants to get a water dragon.... We dont know very much about the care for them since we have had iguanas most of our lifes. My question for you is how much of a diff is it taking care of a water dragon then a iguana? Any feed back would be great, Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Well, i suppose the difference in care depends on how you care for your iguana. Although im sure you are not one of these people, many folks dont take care of their iguanas very well at all, so its all relational.

In my experience...WD have similar basic care needs to green iggies, although their dietary needs are different. Basically you are looking at a water loving, arboreal lizard who will require a large cage with adequate swimming, climbing and basking spots. They tend to be skittish when they are younger, but mellow out with age and consistant handling. Many specimens in the pet store are WC, which predisposes them to become easily stressed and ill, for best results i would get a CB individual.

Mim

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. drbearded

drbearded New Member

buy from a breeder

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

I agree!! yes get it from a breeder so then if you get a baby it won't be all like shrivilly and It'll live longer. Well thats because breeders take better care of the reptiles they sell then pet stores do most of the time.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

Water dragons are actually from the same family as iguanas, basiliks, etc. Their needs are slightly different though. I would buy a book on them. And if you are in the US get from a breeder.