Water Dragon w/blackish gums, don't think it's mouthrot?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by kowai879, May 9, 2005.

1. kowai879

kowai879 Embryo

Hi there,
    I have a Chinese Water Dragon who's about five years old who I've never had a problem with except a calcium deficiency when he was about a year old (pet store owner's fault for telling me all he needed was crickets, my own fault for not researching it myself). I started giving him supplements and various vegetables and fruit and he's been fine. Anyway, several days ago I noticed his gums looked a little inflamed, and upon opening his mouth I found that he had some sort of cut on the inside bottom of his mouth, and a short-grained-rice-sized red blotch had formed. Also, his gums were a bit blackened on the outmost rim towards the front of his jaw. I tried calling vets but the only one that I can actually get to around here (I'm at college in the middle of Nowheresville, NY) had their line down. I figured I'd try again the next day, but still no luck, and two days later the big red blotch was gone. His gums were still swollen, but that'd gone down by yesterday. All this time he has been as active as ever and has also been eating normally. The rim of his gums are still black, though, on the bottom; does this sound like it could still be mouthrot? I'm still trying to get ahold of a vet to get him checked out anyway but in the meantime I wanted to get some opinions. Thank you so much.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. chucky

chucky New Member

mouth rot is a yellow puss which is around the teeth, my dragon has a small lump which could be an abcess and a small cut. definately not mouth rot, though sorry can't help with the blackness.....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kowai879

kowai879 Embryo

Alright, I finally got a vet appointment with him anyway, so I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks though.