Water dragons and mealworms???

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by tinybunny, Feb 2, 2006.

1. tinybunny

tinybunny Embryo

I have noticed that most people feed thier adult W.D's on mice, veggies and mealworms but can juveniles be fed just veggies and mealworms cause i am unsure of this. I know that crickets are full of nutrients and that mealworms are more fatty so it would seem that you cant but i have noticed alot of people do, so i am just wondering if it is ok to??? :roll:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Philly

Philly New Member

the diet of a WD is all up to you.... it needs variety though...
    usually worms are not recomended for any lizard as a staple because their shells are made of chitin and are difficult to digest if they even digest at all... if you want worms as a staple, wax worms have no shell, but im not sure of nutrient content.... the perfect staple worm is silkworms, they are more nutricious than any others...

one of mine will not eat crix, so i feed him mealworms...
    one will not eat worms often and will take crix...
    neither will touch veggies yet...

just keep a good variety for them and you should not have to worry..

and the only time i would EVER feed mice is if i had a female who just finished laying eggs for a quick nutrient and fat catch up... but then again, its all personal preference, but i would stay away from pinkies if i were you, just to be safe...

and for veggies
    see http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html for info, its for beardies but their diets are VERY similar in needs for calcium and vitamans etc

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tinybunny

tinybunny Embryo

Hey thanks for the advise it was very helpful. I checked out that site but it was for bearded dragons does the same apply do you think? How much would you feed a jouvenile a day and what/how much would you feed an adult water dragon.
    Acording to that site silkworms can be used as a staple diet!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Philly

Philly New Member

"Acording to that site silkworms can be used as a staple diet!"
    as i said :)

"I checked out that site but it was for bearded dragons does the same apply do you think?"
    Very similar in needs other than humidity.

feed a juvenile as much as he'll eat once or twice a day.
    Adults (this is only speculation as im not positive) as much greens as he'll eat, just put a dish of greens in for the day and feed them 10-15+ prey items, depending on what they are (crix,worms,roaches) every other day or once every 3 days
    i just put dusted crix with one or no back legs and put them in a bowl for my 2 juvi's, they can't get out and have gives my dragons access to crix and mealworms, as well as greens all day while im at work.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tinybunny

tinybunny Embryo

Yeah i know it's not too nice breaking cricket legs (i had to do one the other day so as to capture it) but i guess it is better than having them escape round the house! Odd question but how exactly do you go about breaking cricket legs each day!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Philly

Philly New Member

just pick it up between your thumb and finger and use the other hand and 2 more fingers to either get in a twist the leg, or just take it between your nails and squish it toward the top until you hear a little crunch...