Water dragons claws!!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by tinybunny, Feb 3, 2006.

1. tinybunny

tinybunny Embryo

I have been looking into getting my first water dragon and whilst looking at the ones in my local pet store i noticed that one of their dragons claws was far longer than the others, i was just wondering do you need to clip W.Ds claws and if so how???

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. cwddude

cwddude New Member

If you plan on handling your dragon, clipping their nails is important. I haven't done it in a while, and Tucker's nails are so sharp that he can sometimes draw blood if he wants up my arm in a hurry.

They make specialty lizard nial clippers, however, a regualar clipper will work. To cut the nail, have a bright light ready. Hold your dragon's foot up to the light. You will see the vein that runs through the claw. Cut below that and you shouldn't have a problem Your first time will be tricky for both you and your dragon. Make sure you have some flour handy in case you clip a little high. If it starts to bleed, hold the foot in flour until the bleeding stops.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tinybunny

tinybunny Embryo

hmm thats what i thought i would have to do. Obviously ovr time they will become more used to this, but how dificult was it the first time i can imagine him not wanting to sit still!!!