Water Moccaisons

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by BeardieGuy, Jun 13, 2004.

1. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

Hey, I live in upstate new york, and I was at this pond kind of place and I look and see a snake in the water! so i'm like woah man so i look at it, and its reddish in color and has dark designs on its back, there was a guy that said it was a water-moccaison, I just wanna know if it is because i thought they lived in the south, I saw a total of 3 of them
    -mike

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

i looked it up and dont think its a water moccasin, did it swim in the water with its head held up well out of the water?i think it may be a copperhead i think they range all the way to new york. but it could also just be a water snake, they vary so much in color and species its hard to tell specifically.i highly doubt it was a water moccasin, they are known to stand their ground relying more on blending in than running away.but copperheads dont usually cluster unless mating is taking place, it is around that time though. sorry i cant be more helpful but snakes are sometimes diffficult to identify even when i see them for myself.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

when i found it, I was trying to get a better look at a turtle when he shot out of the bush into the water, yeah he did hold his head up so maybe it is a copperhead, thanks
    -mike

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Does this look like the snake?
    [​IMG]
    That is a Redbelly Water Snake commonly mistaken for a Water Mocassin.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TomServo

TomServo New Member

I think you could be right stormyva, been a few years since I have seen one myself.. but it does sound like that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

yes i have seen so many water snakes and here they can vary so much its unreal. its not the copperheads that hold their heads up high its water moccasins, however i have seen a blackish water snake do it too so it may be a water snake, and it probably is you see them more than you do water moccasins or copperheads.
    how do you load pictures on here? i w0ould like to post some pictures of my turtles on here.