water monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by MooLate\', Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MooLate\'

MooLate\' Embryo

I was reading about water monitors and considering purchasing one, each article I read had a different opion of the monitors agression, some saide they are nice and docile, others said they have bad tempers. Others said it really depends on the individual, But in general how is their temperament?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

just like any other animal, it really depends on the individual and how much time and attention you devote to handling and training it not to be freaked out by people. if you get a wild caught, its prob going to be psycho, but a long line of captive borns will most likely be more doscile.

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MooLate\'

MooLate\' Embryo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

with varanus salvator, or the water monitor it really depends on where the animal came from. Phillipine locales aere usually nasty, as well as some others im not sure of, but if you stay with sumatran, or asian water monitors then they are usually calm. (like the ones from pro exotics and most other importers) It would be rare for you to aqcuire a phillipine local speciffic as they command high prices.
    Its not so much temperament you have to worry about, its the size and longevity, these animals can obtain 9 ft + and weigh in at 90lbs. these are massive animals that even if docile if a mistake is made catastrophies can and WILL happen. This is also an animal that oneday as an adult will required a 12 foot or bigger custom enclosure and will cost lots of money to feed every month.
    visit www.cybersalvator.com its totally dedicated to water monitors and htey have tons of knowledgeable and experienced keepers over there.
    best of luck

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MooLate\'

MooLate\' Embryo

thanks, I have a 20 foot long 10 feet high and 12 foot wide cage my friend and I built. Its a 20foot long 4 foot high and 12 foot wide frame with chain link fencing and iron posts stapled and naile and bolted into it. The guy that help build it with me usually builds them for brown bears for short term containment so I think it should hold a full grow water monitor.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

thats big...
    but how are you going to heat that and keep good humidity?

12. MooLate\'

MooLate\' Embryo

its in my garage/overhang area and I was planning on sealing off the rest of the overhang making it into a room like thing. I have to talk to my landlord and see whats up but I hope I can do it. Then I'd just have 3 or 4 therm probes outside the cage spread thruout the "room" and then I'd Gace basking lights on top of the cage etc. Also I was going to hook up air conditioning to the room just incase it gets too hot, plus everythign will be on a thermostat

13. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

save up, thats gonna be a high elecctric bill lol, but if its what you want go for it

14. jarrell

jarrell New Member

thang ninefeet thats a big reptile. i never saw a reptile that size except for a komodo.

15. Herpgalore

Herpgalore Embryo

i want a komodo

16. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Took the words out of my mouth.

17. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

Dont we all.....

18. mkj

mkj New Member

Most adults max out at 5-6 feet, 9 feet is pretty rare....

19. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

I don't know if I would get one if I were renting, What if you had to move?

20. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

I just realized that the original post is allmost 2 years old. Maybe this one should be locked up.

21. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Yeh, i think this thread ran it's course 2 years ago :p If anyone has something they want to discuss, feel free to start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.