Waterdragon

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by nathanjburt, Jan 27, 2003.

1. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

I am thinking about getting a waterdragon but don't really know too much about them. I am going to buy a book on them before I go ahead and buy one but I would like to know if any of you have any advice on them????????

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I do not know a lot about them.... but I do know that they will need a large enclosure as an adult and do not do well in an enclosure that they can see their reflection in.

Good luck on the research and I am sure someone here on this site will come along with more information!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You know, that was going to be our next aqcuisition, a chinese water dragon...

We've not done much research on them yet, although we're not planning on getting one for a while yet.

As we hunt out info, we'll be adding to the links section, and adding a few caresheest & articles to the knowledgebase.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Cool, I will keep and eye out for that then :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

I have a water dragon, and their keeping is actually quite simple. Basically, you need a large cage(I have a 100 gal.) you need a few climbing areas, you need a large water dish, and you need to have the cage being a mesh one. If not, they will think they can escape and rub half their nose off! :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Thanks LizardGuy. :)

12. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Oh dear lord, Nathan please wait before you buy any other reptile. We don't have the space yet. Don't worry, you can buy one when we move in together next year OK?

13. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Ok Tasha, you win. I will wait until next year :) I guess it will be for the best. I would have a bit more money behind me.

14. pixiefrogw

pixiefrogw Embryo

I have a four year old waterdragon. You do need a large cage and a very large water dish, they like to swim. You have to clean the water every day because they tend to poo in it, unlike their relitives the Iguana they are mostly carnivarous so keep in mind that when they get larger you will have to feed them larger food stuff such as pinky mice or alot of crickets. I also feed mine night crawlers, and once in a while canned cat food. They should have some fruit and veggies in their diet but the only fruit I can get mine to eat is grapes and he won't eat veggies.

I would like to comment on the cage type, when mine was smaller he was in a 29 gal aquarium. He never tryed to get out. He only did alot of head bobbing when he was young. As he got older I got him a 100 gal mesh cage. He now has no skin on the front of his nose from rubbing on the mesh trying to get out. I tryed everything I read about to stop him but nothing worked. He doen't do it anymore, he has been in that cage for 3 years now. He still has a bad scare which will never go away. Becareful about the mesh cages too.

15. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member