WD companion?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Gonzo1961, Dec 10, 2005.

1. crusty1

crusty1 Member

lol...well if uv kept mixd species y do u detest others from doing the same?

and thats pretty sweet that your a writer for magazines...if i could 're-do' high skool i would LOVE to be a vet, that would be my dream job...i now regret slacking off in high skool, anyways congrats with all of that...and i look forward to your article(s) :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Christina_Miller

Christina_Miller New Member

I don't "detest" people attempting community enclosures, but from experience I know that it is usually unsuccessful and ends up in dead animals. I can safely estimate that over 80% of the cases I've seen of mixed species enclosures ended up with a dead or near-dead animal.

I care more about the animals' well-being than the owners' wishes to have a "cool" enclosure with multiple species, which is usually why people mix species (aside from just plain ignorance... see my post earlier with examples). At least you know the risks and have had a pretty good start, most people don't realize what they're getting into or even have the slightest idea of what they're actually doing (example- they think they're lizard needs a "friend").

Stay vigilant with your frogs and cresties, and you could have a successful community enclosure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. crusty1

crusty1 Member

oh, i am also way more concerened about the well being of the animals, i want them as happy as possible...the cool inclosure is kind of a plus for me, and for them,...more realalistic environment

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

for now i personally (sorry to break into the fray a bit here) have two lizards that don't mind each other at all in the same tank. my wd is getting along quite well with the golden gecko that i have in there right now. they are both from the same environment, not just the same environment, the same region, the tropical forests of SE asia. But i'll admit it is really only a temporary measure until Baby starts getting older. i'll be moving off campus next year so i'll be able to get another tank for baby when she gets bigger and leave this one for Lu to have. they're in a 29 gallon tank (the on campus maximum is 30, or hopefully so, for those keeping track of the "Campus pet policy problem" thread). Lu spends most of the day hanging out in the corner and sleeping, while Baby plays around in the tank, then at night Lu comes out and Baby goes to sleep where Lu does in the day. so they really never bother each other at all. but again as i said, this is not a permanent thing.