Well, here we go..?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by quench23, Oct 12, 2005.

1. quench23

quench23 New Member

Im looking to buy a snake, i was going to get a Gecko, they seemed to small, i was gona get a bearded dragon, ate way too much, i mean cmon 60-100 crickets a DAY!!!!!! ,

so now im looking into snakes, this wouldnt be my 1st pet, iv had a cat and a dog, but of course reptiles are much different, i love all animals , my familys freaked out when i told them about a gecko and a bearded dragon , so now a snake .. lol =P i need to convince them that there great animals and not to be so ignorant, im gona go on google and research, im just wondering what types of snakes you guys have and what type would be good for me

not too small but not too big, eh , thats about it, but any other info would be TREMONDOUSLY (SP ) appriciated =P

thx guys !!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sacha

Sacha New Member

I have a Ball Python and is adorable!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rocky

Rocky Member

I have 2 beardies and 2 ball pythons, soon to be four in 4 in 2 weeks. They are great animals and are very docile. They would be perfect for you. They dont get huge and arent to small. Males generally get any where from 3-4 feet and females 4-5 feet sometimes a little bigger. The beardies are expensive but now my two are adults and they only get 50 crickets a week so it isnt that much any more. But definetly research on ball pythons.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Look at corn snakes too.

If you decide on a Ball, get one from a breeder that is Captive Bred and Born. Captive hatched or Wild Caught are not what you want for a first snake.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a corn and he's awesome. I'm looking into getting another this weekend, or a Cal King. Not sure which one yet. Both are good.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. rosy

rosy New Member

I have a rosy boa and he is just over 2 feet long (very much on the small side) since he is male and a small variety. My biology teacher in high school had a couple of female rosy boas that were about 3.5 feet long. They are so friendly, calm, and easy to take care of at all ages and they come in different sizes and some very pretty colors.

The downside is that where you live greatly influences availability. They are most easily available in southern california and arizona and they can be found in surrounding areas like northern california and nevada. If you live elsewhere then you would be highly unlikely to find one in a pet store although you may be able to have them shipped.

My friend has a ball python that is very friendly and docile. She got the snake when it was partially grown so although I have read that they are nippy as babies I do not know how much or how true that it. She just bought a king snake and I've heard they are also great pets but I don't know that much about them.

12. quench23

quench23 New Member

Im not sure what to get =

13. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

We have a corn, and love her. They are a good beginner snake along with ball pythons.

14. ninx00x

ninx00x New Member

As mentioned before, corn snakes are a good starter snake. They are easy to handle, and they don't get too big. You can keep one in a 20 gallon tank, but more room is always better.

15. rosy

rosy New Member

Of course everyone thinks their baby is the most wonderful and the best beginner snake so I think now it's up to you to do some research on the awesome snakes that have been mentioned on this forum to find out which is/are ;) the best match for you.

16. b23ball23

b23ball23 Embryo

remember, DONT buy from a petstore!! The price will probably be too high, and it will probably not be healthy. Go to a reptile show around your area, and buy one there. They are also a great experiene to se all those herps!

My first snake was a milk snake, I love it and its really good looking.

Check into african house snakes, they eat almost anything so are not difficult to feed. They also only need a 29 gallon tank when full grown. And I might be breeding some soon!!!! ;) :D

corns and bp's are also good snakes.

No matter what, you wont b dissapointed

BEN
    GOD BLESS

17. improvius

improvius New Member

My first snake was a Savu python, and I think it was a good choice. We are lucky enough to have a good reptile shop nearby, although it was definitely more expensive than buying from a breeder. We also bought a ball python from them. Anyway, I guess I'd suggest you go to a show or a good reptile shop (not Petco) so you can see your options in person. Where abouts do you live?

-Imp

18. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I have corn snakes, and ball pythons. If I had to choose, it would actually be no contest. Ball pythons are my most favourite snake. I would recommend a baby, captive bred and born from a breeder. We had lots of trouble trying to get our ball python to eat that we bought from the pet store. Needless to say, that was the last snake I bought from the pet store! I acquired a a baby ball this summer from a good breeder and have not had any problems with his eating. Ball pythons are a very docile snake. Some would not recommend them as a first snake, but if your temps are correct and you have no other husbandry issues, you should have no problems.

19. quench23

quench23 New Member

see the problem is i have a cat, and would me cat stress the snake out, so then when i put my hand in the tank it would bite me..?? i cant not let my cat go near it.. its gona be in my room and my cat goes everywhere heh, no way to make a boundry or anything, also i heard pythons and cornsnakes have big fangs... soo when bit it hurts like a @$@#% ...

20. quench23

quench23 New Member

also i read that corn snakes eat less then ball pythons.. is that true

21. quench23

quench23 New Member

also read that all they require as for heat is for the cage to be above 70*F and not to exeed 95*F

thats sweet!!!!!!

22. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Corns do not have big fangs at all. Their bite won't hurt really. You'd be more jumpy from the snake lunging at you then anything. I don't think ball pythons eat more often then corn snake, but they might eat a bigger meal when full grown. Corns need their temps to range from about 75F for the cool side and 85F for the warm side. It's easy to accomplish with an under tank heat pad and/or a heat lamp.

23. mr~python

mr~python Member

i dont know. but i do know that colubrids usually eat more often then boids, but eat a smaller amount because they're not as girthy. also there is no contest (atleast for me) that the best pet snake is a ball python. i love my 2 BPs. if i were you i would really look into them.

24. quench23

quench23 New Member

How about the cat thing

25. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Well I'll go ahead and jump on that bandwagon too. I'll suggest a ball as a first snake but only if you spend hours researching their needs. If you've done this you'll do fine with a ball but if you don't then as far as I'm concerned you'd be making a big mistake going that route. They are less forgiving if you make mistakes than what a corn would be and if you've not got much experience you can have a real mess on your hands. The key is to do your homework. Do what's necessary and I promise you'll fall in love with a ball if you get one. Don't do what's necessary and I promise you'll regret it. :)