Well, here we go..?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by quench23, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Corn snakes do eat less, mainly only eating adult mice. The question you have to ask your self is what you want out of a snake. If its to look at it and appreciate it and just hold it every now and then, get a corn snake. If you want a snake that will sit on your lap and wrap around your wrist and eat small rats get a ball python. My experience with snakes has been that corn snakes are a little more high strunge than ball pythons. What ever snake you choose, good luck! later

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

if your looking to get something that will end up with a little more size than a ball, i would recomend a Dumeril's boa. they grow slow, get up around 6' (more or less) and have great easy going personalities. my avatar is a pic of my 4-5 year old male.

if thats too big, then I would go with a ball python. personally, i like boas alot more that balls. they seem more active and alert to their surroundings, and I perfer their patterns to that of a normal ball python. only draw back to some boas is they can get pretty big, especially if you end up with a "true Boa Constrictor" or BCC.

the choice is really up to you, you have been recomended everythig from corn snakes to smaller boas. do your homework and find witch snake suits you best. if you could narrow down the field to say 5 snakes, you could set up a poll in another thread and list what you want in your first snake. then everyone on the board would have the opportunity to throw in their $.02

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Well an adult ball python would eat larger prey than an adult corn snake, but not more often. I have an adult corn snake who won't eat rats, so he actually eats more often than my ball python. Ball Pythons have got to be the most docile snake. I don't keep cats, so I don't know what their effect on a snake would be. Cornsnakes don't have fangs, and their bites are no worse than a scratch, though I've never been bitten. A python bite would be a bit worse, but there are not many nippy ball pythons.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

I would have to say a Ball Python or a corn snake. i prefer balls to corns though because they have a thicker, stockier body and a definitive head whereas a corn is very thinly built and they head and body seem to blend. but i have to disagree with the fact that corns are more high strung then Balls. i would have to say that they are both generally docile in nature and can be handled frequently

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

i have 3 cats...they spend most of their time outdoors.
    my one cat will lay on top of the turtle tank. he likes the warmth from the light hood. the first time he did it, the turtles werent too happy. but now they're used to him. they get more upset if i yell at the cat or make a big commotion about it. if the cat is just laying there napping, they dont care.
    the snake tanks are up high on a shelf. the cats cant see them. and they really dont have much interest in them anyway.
    they are more interested in things that move...like the fish in the fish tank.
    all the tanks have strong lids. and if they have lighting, the cords have lots of slack, so that if the dog or cat pulls on the cord, the lights wont fall off.
    if the snakes are eating, or i'm handling them, the cats are outside or i close the door of the room i am in and lock the cats out. just in case...