Well, I've caught the retic itch..

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Frostyleo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Frostyleo

Frostyleo New Member

I've finally decided after about a year of questioning it that I am going to get a male tiger retic. A friend of mine has one for sale right now, he's about 4-5' I believe. He's not too big yet, but still a handful, he loves to climb. He's quite possibly the nicest, most docile snake I've encountered. Aside from his feeding response I'd say he's comparable to ball pythons temperament wise (I probably just jinxed that).

My plan is to keep in him a 75gallon tank for probably around a month. Then he's going in a 4X3 animal plastics cage, and eventually ending up in the animal plastics 8Xsomething I forget the exact measurements.

I just want you guys to double check my plan to make sure I know everything.

Temperature 88-92* basking area with an ambient temp going to low 80s. The humidity with be around 50-60%. He'll have a huge water dish and 2 hides, one on the warm side one on the cooler side. I plan to keep him on newspaper for the time being, but if you guys have any better suggestions feel free to let me know.

I have handled big snakes in the past(anacondas, retics, burms, and I own a columbian red-tailed boa and a jungle carpet python).

And finally, any of you retic owners have any advice for someone about to buy his first?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

RE: Well, I

Sounds about right. Tiger retics are known to be the most docile of the bunch. Retics in general are the biggest and strongest snake there is. They can eaisly hit 15+ feet. I'd advice do not ever get hit by the feeding response. As Blake (if he still comes here) about that. Make sure when it gets that big you don't work it alone. Also maybe a python hook would be good too. They grow very fast as well. They are pretty cool snakes though. Good luck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Frostyleo

Frostyleo New Member

Thanks a lot. I actually planned on picking up a hook tonight after I got off work

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Just keep in mind, when it gets older you are going to need a python hook. They are way bigger than regular hooks. But is sure doesnt hurt to have normal hooks handy either.