Western Hognose (Q&A)

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by ChamBreeder2005, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

Hi
    What do i need cage wise heat wise and food wise for a Western Hognose? i have wanted one since the owner of my local Reptile Shop owner was bitten by on you could say i am wierd but i am not so. Plz can no one say google it or do it your self its a pain so don't. But any way what is a Western Hognose all about.
    Thanks

P.S I know that it is midly toxic

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Okay, if you could please use punctuation, and not so much chatspeak, please? It;s easier to read without it, :)
    I don't keep these, but the temps are 82-85 degrees, and they will eat appropriately sized pre-killed, or thawed mice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ChamBreeder2005

Why not they seem like a great snake.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Hognose snakes CAN be a little harder to take care of. They need temps that are about 75-85 with a 90-95 basking spot. They eat mainly frogs, lizards, other snakes and maybe even a fish or two. I do know that smaller hognose will eat worms, snails etc. It is very hard to get them to eat pinkies etc. Its a lot likeowning a garter/ribbon snake. Thats all I know about the hognose.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

ChamBreeder2005, I have 8 snakes already, so that is enough for now. I have nothing against them. mxracer4life_41, I read that caresheet, too. Do you keep these or are you just googling for your information? :) Just keep in mind, just because you found that info, doesn't mean it's correct!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ChamBreeder2005

Me. Well i do not keep Hognose yet but i have a lot of spare cash from last adult gtp went and i am looking for a new project.

12. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

I didn't read a care sheet Janice, thats just what I know about them from experience. I have never had one myself, but I have a few friends that have them and try to convince me to. I have helped my biology teacher take care of them and that is as close as I have been to owning one. later

13. Janice

I read the exact info you gave on a caresheet......Sorry if I offended you, :).

14. ChamBreeder2005

Ok guys calm down. i was only asking.

15. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

You didn't offend me Janice, sorry if I typed it that way. I don't always word a sentence like I think of it in my head. lol, its a habbit. But I have never read any care sheets on hognose, but its ok.

16. Janice

ChamBreeder2005, We are calm, don't worry! I think if you do your research, as you are obviously doing, :), a western hognose would be a cool snake to own. I know how hard it is to try and sort through the various caresheets out there, good luck!

17. ChamBreeder2005

Ok thanks guys

18. reako45

reako45 Member

I keep a baby Western Hognose. His name is Buster. He's male, about 6.5" long and feeding on live pinkies. Great eater (I keep toads as petsso I rub the pinks on them just in case. So far so good.). I got him for $40. Most normal pattern babies his size sell for $50 @ shows. www.renegadereptiles.com is a real good place to get them. Everyone i talk to recommends them highly.I keep him in a 5.5gal. temps are 82-88. I use an over head lamp (25watt) and a UTH to create a warm end. The guy that I got him from is a long time snake keeper/breeder and an ex-co-worker. If you don't get 1 from renegade reptiles look up JasonMC on www.kingsnake.com. I think he's still got a few of Buster's brothers for sale. Buster came from a clutch of 6= all male. I have an empty 10gal and an empty 15 gal for him when he gets bigger.

reako45

19. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Some hognose will eat pinkies, not all though. Whats your cool end temps? You should have atleast a 10 degree difference from one end to another.

20. reako45

reako45 Member

Cool end temp is 71-72F. My little guy's hangin' out there right now.

reako45

21. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

i own a 2 year old western hognose cool side is about 77 and the hot side is about 88, he is one of my favorite snakes out of the ones that i own, or have seen. They are hilarious to watch and interact with as well.