Whack a mouse

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Savvy_Sav, Jul 8, 2007.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

Same with corn snakes. They will never pass up a free meal. For them i dont even heat the mice up anymore, they eat anything thats not frozen. I'm looking forward to feed away my first homegrown natals. they do seem to enjoy them.
    You are right WTFBBQ , whatever keeps the snake happy and healthy works for me.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

This made me giggle a little. I have to correct you that frezzing mice does not get rid of diseases actually its the oppisite you would have to cook the mouse to get rid of the diseases. Freezing only puts in diseases in slumber mode.

Although I live on live because that is the only full grown we can get from the store. But also it will be easier since when we start getting full grown mice because of our colonys. We will also be selling pet mice and if we kill all the mice they wont be able to get the pet mice good homes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

I know but we wouldnt be using anough mice a month to make a 50 of frozen full growns worth it. I myself think if I got a couple more full grown snakes I proaply will go to frozens but for now it wouldnt be worth. Also I am starting a mouse colony I would be like a cow rancher buying beef.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

Oh. That's coo. I tried the mouse colony and it worked for a while. But I'm just too lazy to keep up with all those mice. I had 6 bins with 1.3 mice in each one. And 3 bins with 1.1 rats in each. Too much work for me right now, lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

Ours consists of 3 colonys of 1.4 so it will go more than we need.

12. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

i am planing on three 1.2 or 1.3 natal colonies.

13. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

I figure anyone on this site with a carnivorous reptile is not of the squimish type.

14. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

"Fresh Is Best", Now where have I heard that?

15. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

This made me giggle a little. I have to correct you that frezzing mice does not get rid of diseases actually its the oppisite you would have to cook the mouse to get rid of the diseases. Freezing only puts in diseases in slumber mode.

I am talking about parasites. Frezzing will usually kill worms and critters like that.

16. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

yeah But it wont kill dieseases. I forgot about the little worms and stuff.

17. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

I never said that freezing will kill diseases. :roll:

18. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

just curious, do u feed yur snake in his cage? ive read that you shouldnt do this because then your snake associates his tank with food, and is more likely to strike you if you put yur hand in there. and that a seperate enclosure is reccomended

19. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

If you are taking proper care of your snake and cleaning it's viv on a regular basis he should be so used to your hand in there he won't associate it with only feeding. Besides, the prey should not come from your hand anyway...best possible situation is that it has zero smell from you.
    Some feed in a separate tub, I usually do, but some don't. It's up to you and what works for your snake. I don't buy into the 'it will try to eat me' theory though.

20. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

I feed all of mine in their enclosures. I use paper towel for the floor so be careful if you use aspen he doesn't ingest any bedding while he is eating.

21. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

I feed all my in tank and there arent biting me.

22. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

the aspen is another issue. my ball took his mouse off of the paper towel and got aspen all over it and i got a spatula, and was trying to get him to let go of the mouse and he just balled up and ate it. when he was done he was might p.o'd

23. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

The best way is to use some Hemo's like some 18" ones and just grab any pieces of aspen that stick to the mouse while he is eating it.. you don't wanna take food from a snake.

Or just use paper towel all together. Easy to clean, Cheap.

24. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

Well, I tried thumping a mouse against the tank and it died and my BP wouldn't touch it even when still warm. Not a complete loss, I have a savannah monitor that was more than happy to eat it. Back to the pet store for another jumper. This time I smacked it, not as hard, enough to rattle it's head long enough until the snake could get it.
    I have to keep the BP tank and the Sav monitor tank with a screen between them because my crazy savannah monitor wants to eat my BP even though it couldn't possibly do so.

25. cblock

cblock New Member

i found the best way to thaw out a mouse is to fill a plastic container with hot tap water.
    soak it for 5 - 10 mins.
    it will be nicely thawed and nice and soaked so it wont be so dry for them to swallow.
    plus the hot water will give it a heat signature as well.