What a day...

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Ok, I type this as I have dirt in my mouth and down my pants, the day was nuts. I brought my new tegu out into the living room as I was putting an egg in his dish for breakfast when my cat suddenly realized he can open doors by hanging on them, the front door swings open, and my startled tegu darts outside. ****. So I go out slowly after him, crawl into the bushes, and right when I have my hand under him a boom truck pulling into my drive honks its horn and sends my freaked out lizard darting under the deck. ****. So I spent my whole entire day AND night pulling apart my dad's new deck, and this isn't no porch deck, this things wraps half-way around the freaking house, I got enough boards out to crawl underneath. So I was army-crawling underneath it frantically looking for kaz for 7 hours. Then my cat decides to let my dog out with his newly found talent, when I see a little black&white bolt across the yard and my dog chasing it, while I'm stuck under the deck. So I get out and for the next 3 hours am searching every freaking possible area he could've squeezed into. Finally, I was ready to just give up. Sitting there, sun coming up, dirt in my ears, a bloody mess from crawling through the deck nails, I said "That's it. He's probably dead from hypothermia by now anyway", I went to get up when I look right next to me, and there's this dirty little lizard sitting right next to me just looking up at me flickering his tounge as if to say "what?" I was so dumbfounded. I took him right away to my vet's house. I am so tired :-P

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ryzard

ryzard New Member

He's doing fine now, but his poop doesnt look too good, it's runny with 2 little white squiggles in it. So I'm taking him into the vet at 4. Got any advice?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sounds like parasites. really nothing you can do unless your vet prescribes it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Advent

Advent Member

Wow, lol. Did you find your dog and cat aswell?

Great effort, I hope your dad isn't mad about the deck.

I'm the tegu noob, but I'd say just watch him for a day or so, and get him back on his normal diet, and see if he gets back to normal. If not, just run him to the vet, I guess.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

as i think more on it, if he didnt have anything in his stool before he was let out then he might have eaten something as he was free. you might want to secure the room that he is kept in and make sure that he cannot escape again and that your cat doesnt learn anymore tricks lol

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Well I took him to the vet, and there was another adventure all in its own. I was referred by someone to a reptile vet so I made an appointment for 4, thinking it was well worth the 50 mile drive if he's so good. When I get there the girls tell me that he left at 2:00 and noone bothered to call me. Then kaz puked in my hand. So now I'm freaking out that he's gonna die, so they called alot of places but most places by me are strictly dog&cat vets, so they said some place in Novi would take me, well I don't know where Novi is, so I follow their directions and take the highway there. Yeah well 3 hours later..... So finally after my long two days of digging and driving the vet says he has no parasites or anything but gave me a medication anyway for him to take which came out to $140 just for that and that he may have just been fed too large of crickets from where he was originally kept and that's why he's throwing up. So he'll be ok. Little idiot. My vet bill, not too mention all the gas money, came out to over twice what I paid for him. A lady sitting near to me that overheard the price said "You're just lucky they didn't want to keep him over night", I just said "If they did that, I wouldnt be comin back for him".

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

no parasites, but you saw squiggly white lines? were they moving? thats what i thought you meant by squiggly, that they were wriggling or something. that couldve been a normal thing. almost all lizards poop out some white stuff when they go. how big is your tegu?

13. Advent

Advent Member

If he said he was alright, then why the medication..?

14. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Because he said that there may still have been something he had that they might have not detected, or some crap like that.
    No, the lines weren't squiggling, but they were long white lines that looked like dead worms. It wasn't the excess vitamens/protein white part, this was actually in it and looked very odd. The guy I got him from said he had a water monitor baby have that in his poop and it died in a couple days. He's only about 15in