What about an OFF TOPIC or DIY forum.....

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by brightsideofbleak, Nov 30, 2005.

1. brightsideofbleak

brightsideofbleak New Member

i like to make stuff. it makes me feel like i*m getting one over on THE MAN because most herp supplies are so expensive....and even though i*m new here, and i don*t know everyone well, i think everyone is really creative and articulate..... they have really nice cameras too...... so maybe that might be fun.....

as for OFF TOPIC- seems like it would be a fun place to get to know eachother beyond our shared reptilian obsessions. granted, what i love about this place is how straight forward it is, but i imagine we could all make eachother laugh for days as well. and don*t we all need advice..... on things beyond the cold-blooded....

well i hope this isn*t a repeat post and if it is, PLEASE MOD DELETE IT!

i say GIVE TO ME DIY!
    i say GIVE TO ME OFF-TOPIC!

(maybe i say this alone, heheh)

thanks mods, for all your hard work, this is a killer forum!!
    kendall.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to have a good think about that DIY one. I like the idea, I'm just not sure if there's going to be enough traffic to justify it... we'll see

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Ok, I really do like the idea of a DIY forum. I've just got to think of the right way of doing it. If I just set one up now, initially, it'd be pretty empty, and I'm not sure how often a forum like that would be posted to initially - or what kind of level of help other users can provide.

Ok, yeah, let me think about this a bit more :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brightsideofbleak

i*ve got some crafty ideas! I*m sure everyone else does too!
    DIY! DIY!!!

happy thinkin, axe!
    kendall.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Kendall, as for the off topic forum. That's what General Chat is. If you check it out, we've got everything from what do you do for a living, to what bands do you like to listen to...whatever.

and until Axe can set up an official DYI, you can always post or look for crafty ideas in the enclosure forum. Lots of home made ideas there.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brightsideofbleak

thanks everyone!

12. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I have a small concern with a DYI forum. Even now, when I post pics of my cages, I never know if I should post in enclosures, or in the specific reptile forum. If you post in enclosures, you usually get less feedback than if you post in the specific reptile forum. If a third option is added, then we end up with too many places to post, and you don't get enough replies. This is what leads to double posting. In all honesty, what I like about this forum as opposed to others is that there are not too many specific topic rooms, so you don't end up with empty rooms. In my opinion, the fewer rooms, more views and replies you get to your post, and isn't that the point of posting? Just my 2 cents...

13. brightsideofbleak

when i think DIY i think making humidifiers or misters, constructing your own cage or trellis for plants to grow on, maybe adding foam and aquarium sealant to the back of a tank to make a rock wall or a place to plant live plants.... i think reptile caves of hollowed dried gourds and coconut shells (why do they charge so much for those darn things anyway....) i think of rainwalls and DIY waterfalls...... as for cage furniture and enclosures i think it IS a good idea to post in the specified animal section as i know i have learned so much just from looking at other set-ups (it also brought out the GREEN EYED MONSTRER in me heheh) so it*s up to axe, might be fun but might be a hassle.

everyone have a killer day.
    kendall.