what cage

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by waterdragonbreeder, Oct 24, 2004.

1. waterdragonbreeder

waterdragonbreeder New Member

8) what is a better cage for a water dragon a reptarium or a glass cage

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

i would say a glass cage. Then the water doesnt leak as easily.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. waterdragonbreeder

but you can get a soft tray for it that keeps in liquids

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Derek

Derek Member

They both would be fine it just matters how you set it up like furniture wise

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joe5555

joe5555 Member

both of em would be good. but a glass tank is better for veiwing purposes.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. waterdragonbreeder

yeah you're right buy you can get bigger sizes with reptariums

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

yah and they are way cheaper than the glass tanks.

13. waterdragonbreeder

yeah they are way cheaper

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Neither one.... a glass tank will be ok for a while but the WD is going to need more space than most readily available glass tanks will provide.
    The reptariums will not hold humidity and also block UV.

15. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

From all the research I have done custom or designer tanks are the way to go. Some places like jworlds.com or cagesbydesign.com have some awesome enclosures that will hold humidity and water (2 favs for Water Dragons) and still provide the leg room and climbing area that these beautiful creatures need. The down side, they are really really pricey, More then most of us regular hobbyists can afford. So, this leads us to custom cages. If you going to build a cage you'll want to use these simple guidelines: 1) the cage needs to be as tall (preferably 2 times as tall) as the animal is long. It aslo needs to be 3/4 to as wide as the animal is long and 2 times as long as the animal. Remeber that just about everything blocks UV so you'll want the very top made out of somewaht wide screen. Lots of lumber is toxic to reps so NEVER build with pine or cedar if you can help it or anything pressure treated for that matter. All wood surfaces should be coated with an animal safe water based polyurathane coating 2 or 3 times to prevent molds and bacteria from impregnating the wood. More data is avaiable about this stuff on the web. The best source I have come across are forums like these and Tricias Water Dragon page.

16. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

I prefer an aquarium/terrarium setup over the reptarium because the reptarium is a bit more difficult o keep at a steady temp when outside temps fluctuate and basically the same story with humididty. I pretty much cover how I feel in this thread:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-5805.html

17. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Topics merged.

waterdragon"breeder", there is no need to make duplicate posts asking the same question here on the forum. People will see one thread just as good as another.

18. BoidsUnlimited

BoidsUnlimited New Member

19. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

All 4 of those are awesoem sites, they have showed me the majority of what I have learned along with a few books, that is awesome that you took the time to find all 4 links thanks BoidsUnlimited. :)

20. marbledsalamanderbreeder

marbledsalamanderbreeder New Member

Actually you dont have to get custom tanks and a place has a 100 gal for just 95 bucks and that would be big enough.

21. waterdragonbreeder

yeah but you can get a screen cover for reptariums and they are still cheaper

22. BoidsUnlimited

BoidsUnlimited New Member

Not a problem Heavy Metal. Its good to know you helped someone in learning about there beloved pets even more.

23. marbledsalamanderbreeder

marbledsalamanderbreeder New Member

I guess your right too but lets do an expirement then to see who's is better.