What do you feed your Uros?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by naykid, May 5, 2012.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol well that's interesting.... what color was the plate? Maybe you should feed him more stuff that color, lol.
    I've heard of people doing that too... I just bought the split peas and more red lentils at whole foods, my Uri apparently loves split peas :) I actually bought my guy a new tank for Christmas and just got around to setting it up last night. Still fiddling around with the temps but I might put him in there tonight.... update soon with pics! :)

naykid likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Nines

Nines Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nines

Nines Member

My god......water soaked lentils are like crack cocaine to Nines. He will dig out the lentils before eating anything.
    Water soaked lentils and Bok Choy are what nines loves the best.

Do you think a Uro could live off of lentils and bok choy dusted lightly with tortoise pellet? I got the idea from Doug Dix, and think I've hit the sweet spot with Nines.

naykid likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. naykid

naykid Member

Try soaking them until they start to sprout green, about 4 days.

Nines likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Nines

Nines Member

This is what I do. I usually give Nines 6-7 lentils a day. I pour out a weeks worth, and feed him daily. I then wash the cup and spoon, because it leaves a coating on both. Naykid, if they are starting to sprout, all the better.

naykid likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm.... so I've been feeding my uro brussel sprout leaves.... Anyone have any idea if this would be bad? I haven't seen any side effects but just thought I would see if anyone had heard anything.

I usually go to this site for info. But they don't have brussel sprouts on there, per wikipedia brussel sprouts are like little cabbages so I think they should be ok.... thoughts?

12. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

They should be fine as an occasional mix-in. I think they are a cruciferous veggie, so they are probably high in goitrogens, which can cause problems in too high amounts. I think they are high in oxalates when raw as well. But as a supplement there shouldn't be any danger.

Nines and naykid like this.
  13. naykid

naykid Member

I concur with Cammy....cabbage not so good, occasional treat, ok;)

Nines likes this.
  14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Yeah it's just a treat. I usually hand feed him treats, but I didn't have anything special available the other day so I went to hand feed him some of his usual lettuce mix. Yeah, he took one bite, gave me the "what the heck was that? Really mom? Really?" look and literally turned around and walked away and hid in his hide, hahaha. Spoiled rotten little......

naykid likes this.
  15. Nines

Nines Member

Nines will not eat anything by hand. When we rescued him from Scamps 6 years ago, he was actually fighting the 2nd Uro in the cage. He has never warmed up to human touch, but still get plenty of it when we lovingly scold him for being a fat lazy turd. Nines is very introspective, and actually acts as a mental health worker incognito. Nines listens to my daily problems, usually with his eyes closed under his 125 degree basking light. I have learned quite a few things from Nines over the years. No need for therapy when you have a uro that listens to you.

mr_andrew, StikyPaws312 and naykid like this.
  16. naykid

naykid Member

Not related to the uro feeding forum however, sticky asked so I'm going to post pictures of my baby Leo's, some will be for sale, but I don't know if anybody wants to pay shipping, however if anyboy wants one they can always ask me:)...I'll post in the classifieds section.

Nines likes this.
  17. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Angus listens to, but usually just cocks his head and gives me a WTF are you talking about look. Sometimes its exactly what I need LOL.

naykid and Nines like this.
  18. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Does anyone know if there are any issues with feeding birdseed that has some pellets mixed in with it? We recently got a Saharan at work and I've just been putting straight up millet with his food but I know it can be rather fattening and variety is always best. We have plenty of finch and parakeet seed mix to spare but they both have some of the bird pellet food in it, and picking it all out is impossible. I doubt it's an issue but figured I'd check with you uro enthusiasts to be safe.

Nines likes this.
  19. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Hmm well Cammy I can't say I've ever picked it out of Angus's food, and I do put birdseed in his seed dish along with the lentils and split peas. Actually, he pretty much ignores everything but the lentils in that dish.

Since this seems to be the active Uro thread I will post it here... Angus escaped for the first time the other day. I came home to find the sliding glass door on his enclosure open about 4". At first I thought my mother had just been in to visit Angus and forgot to close the door (yes, she comes to visit him and bring him fresh dandelions almost daily). Then I looked for him inside his enclosure and he wasn't there. Panic came on, but was short lived. I heard something rustling around in the corner, and sure enough, he had somehow flipped a bucket filled with aquarium supplies over and was hiding inside of it. Time to find a lock for his enclosure I suppose!

Nines likes this.
  20. Nines

Nines Member

That is one of my son's and my fears, that we forget to close one of his sliding glass windows. He would be contained in the room, but I would be afraid that the fall from the cage would hurt him. There was a person that used to post here that had a uro fall from a cage and the fall killed it.

Nines substrate is millet. I have used both tile, and the hard polymer of his cage before, but Nines likes to dig. I do catch him eating millet at times. I have never had a problem with it. mr_andrew, are you providing millet, dry lentils, and dry split pea? I've always soaked my lentils, and they have been a favorite of nines. I'd like to try them dry if you have had success.

21. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Yup, I do give him millet, dry lentils and split peas. However, he typically just digs out all the lentils and eats them. He loves lentils dry or soaked. He doesn't get soaked ones very often, but when he gets them, he devours them.

Nines likes this.
  22. Nines

Nines Member

Nines is doing just fine with dry/drier lentils. I have always soaked approx. a weeks worth and the water gets cloudy. He tried dry lentils and ate them up. What I'm doing now is just throwing 6-7 in some water and taking them back out. I spread them around his food dish and then sprinkle it lightly with ground tortoise pellet. The reason for the water in the first place is that it's just something the ground pellet can adhere to. It's working well. Thanks mr_andrew!

23. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh no! That's definitely one of my fears.... I'm so glad you found him and that he was ok! I have 3 cats and a dog so that's something I'm definitely afraid of.... I'm just not sure where to purchase a lock that should fit on the sliding doors.

24. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

No worries! Glad Nines is liking it!

Haha I have a cat but if anything the cat is more scared of Angus than anything. He runs from him ever since he got a little too close to Angus while he was wolfing down some dandelions and startled him and Angus snapped at him. Only time I've ever seen Angus do anything aggressive. Cat is scared to death of him now lol. Not to mention Angus is getting to the size where I'm not sure that the cat would have the upper hand in a confrontation.

25. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh boy.... Angus is a BIG uromastyx, how large is he now?