What is best way to scent F/T rats?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by downhillbikin, Apr 6, 2005.

1. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

My BP won't eat F/T. What is the best way to scent the rats? I heard something about lizard juice. Not sure what that is. I also heard to rub them on a gerbil. Any ideas?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Mr_Goth

Mr_Goth New Member

I heard that If you rub the rodent with the gerbils butt you can get a good scent. A friend of mine who works at a petstore tells me he does this when hi's bp is not eating.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Scenting with a gerbil is probably the best for a BP; you can rub the prey on a frozen gerbil and keep the frozen gerbil around (not too long though.. :) ) for "future scenting." Or you can try rubbing the prey on a lizard's skin or actually tear open the lizard so the juice/guts scent the prey that way, too. Some people poke a hole in the mouse/rat to expose the guts which increases the scent appeal for the snake. I know it sounds gruesome but it can be effective. I sincerely hope this helps; it can frustrating when you have a picky eater. Good luck.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Thanks, what about keeping the gerbil live to scent with?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

problem solved. I bought a gerbil as a pet and let him run around in the snake feeding tank for a while and also rubbed the rat on him priar to offering the rat to the snake and the smell must have done it, because he grabbed it and ate it. So if anyone has problems switching thier BP over to F/T, try that. Gerbils are fun to watch too, so it's not a bad pet addition.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I have never heard of that particular technique but I have to say I'm am very impressed. It make perfect sense. Nice job!

12. Jujube

Jujube New Member

LOL! Brilliant! Glad you found something that works! Well done.

13. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Thanks, I just have to remember to take the gerbil out of the feed box when he's done spreading his smell around before I put in the snake. Haha. But ya, worked like a charm and I've got a fury new pet. :D

14. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

When you feed your snake pre killed and they refuse to strike at it. Do you just leave the dead mouse in there and they will eat it on their own?

15. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

mine ate for me twice and then went off of feed for a few weeks eventhough all his temps and everything were right. he wouldnt even strike at it anymore so after a few weeks of me waving the mouse around in front of him for twenty minutes i decided to try the pillow case thing. i put the f/t mouse in a pillow case and then put him in and i tied it up. i put it on the warm side of his tank and left it alone for a few hours. when i came back he had eaten! i was so surprised i really didnt think it was gonna work but i was running out of ideas. i think he just doesnt like me watching him eat - so if you're having probs ryeshu maybe you should try that