what is needed for uromastyx?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by myhouseisazoo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. myhouseisazoo

myhouseisazoo New Member

i want to get my boyfriend a uromastyx for our one year anniversary...what do i need for a starter kit?
    thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

a 40g breeder is the min size tank for one uro, but bigger is always better (I am guessing that you are looking at a mali?). They need UV lighting and a basking spot. The basking spot needs to be 115-130. I find it much easier to achieve these high temps and UV requirements in one shot by using a MVB. They are more expensive to start off with, but they are far superior, and they last much longer. They eat veges only (no bugs) witht the staples being bok choy, endive, mustard greens ect. Some like fruits, but not mine. You can mix and match additional veges depending on what the individual animal likes. They are great pets, but can be very temperamental. Some individuals are friendly and loved to be held, others prefere that you feed them and them get lost. They are certainly not like beardies. All in all though, they are really facinating animals, and they are a hoot to watch. They look like grumpy old men, lol, :)

www.deerfernfarms.com - this is the best site for info.They have a great care sheet and a list of what they can and cannot eat.

Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. myhouseisazoo

myhouseisazoo New Member

thanks soooooo much

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

They will also eat white millet seed, ground up bean soup mix (grind in coffee grinder) and high quality reptile/finch pellets.