What is the best pet snake?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by gex236, Jul 18, 2005.

1. gex236

gex236 Well-Known Member

I need some opinions on what people think are the best pet snake. As far as snakes that can fit in a 30 galon or smaller tank that is... Anybody have any ideas? It would be cool if you left a reason why but a name will be fine and I will do the needed research.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Corn snakes can live in a 20gal minimum. 30gal is better. Children's pythons can live in 30gals and smaller as well. They get up to about 2-3ft average and are the second smallest python. That's all I know for sure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

A 30 gallon all it's life? If it weren't for that part, I'd say ball python. I love my ball pythons. I thought about getting a children's python, but I ended up getting a baby ball instead.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I want a ball sooo bad. It's the feeding thing that concerns me. I'm just too much of a worrier.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. gadd19

gadd19 Member

sand boas, rubber boas, and rosy boas can live in a 20 gallon as adults. and as ash said, childrens pythons and corns are good choices. also check out king snakes and other coloubrids.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. gex236

gex236 Well-Known Member

thanks guys, I resarched almost all of those and they were options. I was surprised how many could live in a 30 gallon. This was a good way to make sure and really make a good list of possible choices. If anyone can possibly think of any more thatd be good too.

12. Janice

Ash19, You know where I got the baby ball from, he has been a great eater. Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe it's because he's a baby and captive bred and born. I have no problems with Charlie at all. Keep Darren in mind for next years babies.

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Wow really?? That's awesome. I'll definitely keep Darren in mind next year. I can't wait! How big is Sampson? Any problems with him?

14. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

For a new snake handler I would definitely say get a King or A corn snake they are very nice and look awesome. They are also very easy to care for, And if they bite you it doesn’t hurt at all. Where a boa bite can be felt for a week.

15. Janice

Ash19, Sampson is big, and he wasn't a baby when we got him. Bought him at the pet store. We went out of our minds before he ate for us. He's a great eater now, but the prime example for why Ball Pythons are not a good snake first snake. You couldn't ask for a better snake for temperament and ease of handling.

16. gadd19

gadd19 Member

this kinda depends on which species is being talked about.....the only "boas" that i would tell anyone they should expect a "painful" bit, would be a tree boa. the only thing i can think of that could make any ground dwelling boa bite hurt more than any coloubrid, is their size. as a lot of boas get larger all around than say a corn or king snake, thus making a bite a little more painful(that is if they bite you at all). please dont get the wrong impression of boas. there are some known to bite, but most are gental creatures.

17. gex236

gex236 Well-Known Member

i know exactly what you are talking about. I personally wouldnt get the wrong impression. How about a rosy boa?

18. Janice

They are nice, small boas....I have been thinking about getting a Boa, and sand boas and rosy boas are small. I really like the rosy boas.

19. gadd19

gadd19 Member

i was actually thinking about a desert phase, or mid-baja rosy boa a little while ago. these guys make a great starter snake. and have really cool patterns.

20. gex236

gex236 Well-Known Member

what would be the best tank size? whats the minimum? I cant get a straight answer from care sheets. Even one on this site, it says ball pythons can live in a 10g. Can they really? I wouldnt put one in a 10...

Edit: That care sheet used to be there... looks like they changed it

21. Janice

I have my baby ball in a 10g. He'll be in a big tank by September.

22. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

Dont get me wrong boas are very well tempered and usally never bite. but if you don't know anything about them you could do something wrong a get bite. Also a red tail boas bite is very painfull and can not be compaired to a king or corn by any means. But again they are very well tempered and usally never bite, I have a columbian red tail boa and she has not bite me one since i have had her. which has been almost 6 years.

23. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

Sorry wrong topic.