what is THIS?! (warning, grosse)

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by spaceboy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to feed my beardie a second ago and I found this in the cric-tank. At the first glance I thought it was a cricket with a piece of carrot on his back but this is something else. It looks REALLY grose and disgusting. does anyone have ANY idea what this is? It looks like the cricket split in two and the orange thing looks like it comes from inside the cricket :S

I'm afraid of feeding crickets to my beardie now since I don't know what it is. Its the only cricket that looks like that but you never know.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

ew! i would throw out the rest of the crickets just in case. i once saw a small worm come out of where the leg meets the body on one cricket i had, i never got bugs from that store again out of paranoia.

do you plan on keeping it around just to see if it will grow anymore?

it looks like the other crickets may have been munching on him too

and why on earth is it i can look at real human gore and have no problem but this makes makes me cringe?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

I actually flushed it down the toilet about an hour after I posted. Mostly because it freaked me out and I could'nt stop thinking about it. I normally have NO problem with bugs or grosse stuff but this is just horrible!
    I agree with you, human-gore is one thing and bugs with alien-movie-syndromes are FREAKY!

I order my crickets online and the quality of those crickets are 100% better than any crickets I've ever bought elsewhere. thats why its so weird. I've emailed the cricket breeder now to ask if he's ever seen anything like it before.
    I've fed all of my three lizards with these crix now, I hope its nothing dangerous :s

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. spaceboy

I just got an answer about the cricket, he said its just been eaten on an that the orange stuff is coagulated insides. nice!
    better than it being fungus or a parasite or something...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

still really gross. i guess all the half eaten crickets ive found have been fresh then since ive never seen that before

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spaceboy

Yeah I've never seen it before either, I never thought that any of their insides was orange, I just thought they where greyish-yellow-pink. I hope this is the last time I get gross suprises from the feeders :) (like the first time I saw a zophoba-pupae, and the first time I saw a HUGE newly "shedded" cricket.. eep!)

12. Shanna66

i love messing with the newly molted bugs of any type, they always look so pretty and are so soft.

13. spaceboy

Yeah they look so much more innocent and interesting than the "normal" bugs.

14. kulrich21

kulrich21 Embryo

where do you order tyour crickets from?

15. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

It looks like it was just beginning to molt when attacked. They do seem to be very vulnerable at that time.

16. spaceboy

I live in sweden so I order my crickets from a swedish cricket-breeder.

17. Hallow

Hallow New Member

Yea that is really sketchy glad you got it sorted out though.

18. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Its just shedding its case nothing to worry about, although it does look like something has eaten it!

19. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

It looks like its heart swelled up and poked out of its skin. o_O
    Maybe it'll be like in a sci-fi movie, and the bugs are carrying some kind of horrible alien plague, and they'll pass it on to humans, pushing us to the edge of extinction. :cautious:

20. Gecko&TurtleMaster19

Gecko&TurtleMaster19 New Member

What the heck is this?

21. jacob #kswag

jacob #kswag New Member

thats wierd.... are you still buying from them? i wouldent... it sound like theres something really wrong with them

22. spaceboy

haha kind of an old thread... I threw it away and I never got one like it. I also contacted the seller. I've gotten hundreds and hundreds that where fine since :)

23. jacob #kswag

jacob #kswag New Member

oh lol i just saw it and thought it was wierd dident really look at the date