what kind of boas are these?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Matthew_Arthur12, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Matthew_Arthur12

Matthew_Arthur12 Embryo

Seen couple boas im interested in but not sure what kind they are or how big they get. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

red tail boa

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Matthew_Arthur12

Matthew_Arthur12 Embryo

I know there red tail boas but was wondering what kind of red tail

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

Only one kind of red tailed boa, Boa constrictor constrictor. There is another kind of boa that I have, he does not have a red tail he is a Boa constrictor imperator [the common Boa].

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Matthew_Arthur12

Matthew_Arthur12 Embryo

I know there is Guyana red tail boas and a s one was wondering if was anyway to tell difference between them all

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Im going to venture a guess as im not too familiar with boa morphs but the first two pics of the bigger boas seem like central american which is a smaller breed of BCI reaching 5-6 feet in length and judging by the pics the babies seem to be just BCI common boa
    There's a lot of mixes so the best way to tell exactly what it is is to ask the breeder. They could have true redtail mixed in them that may make them grow a bit bigger than expected so its always good to know what the genetics are. As for telling boas apart usually there's key differences in them that sets them apart but again when mixed with different locales the tend to blur the specific differences.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Boa constrictors come in a variety of flavors. They are a taxonomic nightmare honestly... there are several subspecies populations along with locality differences. There are even differences within subspecies based purely as to whether they originated from the mainland or from island populations. This results in morphological differences in color, pattern, head shape, body girth, and overall mass and length. As a general rule, island boas have narrower heads, shorter body length, lower mass, and more arboreal tendencies. Mainland boas are generally larger.

The main hitters are either Boa constrictor constrictor (BCC) or Boa constrictor imperator (BCI). The prior are the true Red-tails, the BCI are the simply called common boas as Sharman Wisdom noted. Regardless, they are all the species Boa constrictor.

I'll be honest in that I haven't personally looked at enough locales in person to be confident in knowing what exactly is in yours. As geckolover said, mixing of localities can result in morphological differences that influence size. Looks like a Colombian BCI in my opinion, or at least partly.