What kind of lighting?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Luthien, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Luthien

Luthien New Member

So my boyfriend is in the process of getting his very first corn snake!! So exciting!

He's got the tank, heat pad, substrate and decorations.

Our question is what kind of lights should we use? We've read that snakes don't need light and that they do, that there are special lights and that a normal light bulb will do.

So many contradictions!! AHHH!!! :p

Any advice?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

No lighting is required; although if you wish to use something for display purposes a simple flourescent bulb will work just fine. Keep it on a timer for 12hr days (or vary season to season). Something that produces minute amounts of UVB would be great, although that depends on your budget. This species will do just fine with absolutely no lighting and only an undertank heat source though.

I would add that you should consider getting a Rheostat/Lamp Dimmer or a Thermostat to pair with the UTH. This will help to regulate temperatures to prevent fluctuations or things getting too hot. You can pick up a lamp dimmer from home improvement stores for around $10 USD - just adjust it until the appropriate species temperature requirements are met using an accurate digital thermometer or tempgun.

I do prefer UTH's and heat tape, heat panels, etc depending on the circumstances for snakes and those species that don't require UVB. Lights are just inefficient, pose a fire hazard, and burn out much more readily. Just slap something on the heat source to control temperature and your UTH will be all you need = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Luthien

Luthien New Member

Thanks Jeff!! That helps a lot! :D