What kind of snake should I get?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by penguin9455, Aug 14, 2007.

1. penguin9455

penguin9455 Embryo

I'am 13 and wanting a easy beginer snake. I've looked into corn snakes, king snakes , and ball pythons. I' am somewhat responsible but ready for a snake.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Katt

Katt Moderator

Id sugeest a corn snake or a ball python, my personal preference is corns as I breed them. But there are otehr who suggest ball pythons over corns. Both are usually wonderful eaters, but BPs are known more to have eating problems. But corns are also slighlty more difficult to handle as they wont just sit there. Corns also come in a vriety of colors. Its gengerally just a matter of personal descion.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

Do the research and find a Kenyan Sand Boa. They aren't as flashy as some of the corns and ball python morphs but they are so docile and easy to care for it's not even funny. Most Kenyans have zero feeding problems and they have no humidity concerns. Along the same lines would be a Rosy Boa or Rubber Boa. Don't get me wrong, my wife wants a Ball Python and that's fine but my two year old Kenyan is so easy to house and care for...feed her once a week, keep her substrate clean and deep enough for her to bury herself in, keep one side of the cage around 90 or 95 and let the other side stay room temp, and make sure she has access to water every few days. I wish all my herps were this easy to care for. Also the normal morph Kenyans tend to be inexpensive compared to the balls and corns simply because of demand.

If you can, find one at least 6 months old as they can be quite nippy when they are very young.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gracefulsarah

gracefulsarah New Member

Another one that's easy to care for is a rosy boa. Ours is so low maintenance, I sometimes forget she's there. :)

We feed her about once a week, and have a heat mat under 1 side of her tank. Other than that, it's just refilling the water bowl. She was our first reptile, and she's doing great. We've had her for about a year, I think. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

Don't forget Gopher snakes. IMHO they've got a bit more personality than Corns, they're great feeders, and there's nothing quite like a snake that seems to be waiting for you when you step into the room.

This is another pic of the Gopher I gave to my wife for Christmas last year. Her name is Roxy and she is a character!
    [​IMG]

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Luigi24

Luigi24 New Member

get a corn great for beginners

12. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

you need to look at a nuclear ksb. They are screaming orange. But they are really great and easy to take care off.

13. artgecko

artgecko New Member

Out of all my snakes my corn is the most laid back, followed by my pueblan milk but i know thats rare to find a docile milk so i wouldn't recommend them as a first snake.

14. cblock

cblock New Member

ball, ball ball... lol.
    i know its a bit bias (cause ive only ever owned a bp ) but i must say he is defiantly the coolest.

15. ipushmycar

ipushmycar Embryo

King or corn easily... best beginner snakes

16. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

i'd take a corn snake cuze they can handle stress better then other snakes and they are more forgiving with rookie mistakes like temperature exc