What kind of tortoise is he?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nurse6420, Oct 1, 2005.

1. nurse6420

nurse6420 Embryo

Hi all-
    Was hoping I could tap some tortoise expertise and enlist some help in figuring out what breed my guy is. My ex bought him for me and I have no idea. I have had him for awhile and would love to research him a bit more...if I knew his breed....
    Anyhoo...this is Big Mac...would love some input. Thank you!

a couple of pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Minxy

Minxy New Member

Look's like a baby Herman to me, and not a very healthy one at that. is he his shell okay?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nurse6420

nurse6420 Embryo

No....he had a run in with a dog several months ago. The dog gnawed at him before I could save him. He has been left with some scars....
    Otherwise, he seems to be healthy, very active, eats well.....Maybe I am missing something? I appreciate your response.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

He looks like a Herman to me too. Did you take him to the vet after the dog incident?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Minxy

Minxy New Member

I thinkt those are the important factors, he's eating well and is active.
    Attacked by a dog? Oh poor little mite. I hope you kicked the dog up the arse!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nurse6420

nurse6420 Embryo

lol....no, I did not take him to the vet....Big Mac himself was not hurt...just had scrapes on his shell. This incident actually happened quite awhile ago and he remains having knicks and "battle scars" on his shell....
    Thank you for the input!

12. aseel

aseel Embryo

Hi there just joined reptile rooms saw your tortoise picture and i would say your tortoise is a mediterranean spur thighed tortoise(testudo graeca) from the shape and colour it looks like the type often called the golden greek this sub variety is quite often seen in southern turkey is there any chance of a rear picture showing the thighs and tail could give a more posative answer