What kind of tortoise?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by spaceweasel, Mar 6, 2004.

1. spaceweasel

spaceweasel Embryo

We are experienced reptile people. I have owned huge iguanas, anoles, and gekkos in the past, and currently have a 5' Ball Python and a 3' Savannah Monitor.

We are thinking about getting a tortoise. We don't want anything that grows large. Colorful and small would be nice. Nothing too exotic, because we are on a budget. Can anyone make some recomendations?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Indian Stars and Pancake Tortoises are small for tortoises and have great personalities. I think, like many tortoises, they are rather expensive but I'm not sure how expensive. But pretty much any tortoise is going to need a fairly large enclosure so I would first figure out how much space you can spare, then look into tortoises that can live comfortably in that space.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. elfomatic

elfomatic Embryo

a great small tortoise is the russian tortoise. you can find them fairly easily and they only grow to be about 8-10 inches in length.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. rosevt

rosevt New Member

box turtles are nice too, they are called turtles but i think they are more like a tortoise (someone correct me if i'm wrong) they are also relatively inexpensive. some are friendly thou, my mom once used one for an art model and it posed nicely :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. G9

G9 Embryo

colorful, small, and cheap. I'm not too experienced but if you can find Radiated or Indian Star for a good price that would fit your needs. Russians are pretty good too, although not too colorful. They're very common... thus very cheap, at least in comparison to other tortoises.