what kind of turtle

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Twist, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Twist

Twist Embryo

I want a tortoise. So what are the best types to get? Of course I would do research before buying and talk to my reptile vet as well. I can spend anywhere from 0 to 200 dollars. Maybe more if I really like the tortoise. It will be kept in a fenced area in my backyard about 20 feet x 20 feet x 20 feet. And when it gets cold it will be kept inside in a 150g tank. I am looking for a tortoise that gets big,stays healthy ,is easy to care for and looks really cool.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Amnesia

Amnesia New Member

Well, if you're going to keep it in a glass tank for the winter you wouldn't want anything too big. A sulcutta would bust right through that at a decent age. That wouldn't really hold any larger tortoise. One of the most popular larger tortoise that stay relatively attractive, the leopard tortoise, takes a space of 8' X 4' minimum. Tortoise take up a large amount of space. If you want to keep them in a tank that size you may want to consider getting a pair of small tortoise, like Russians.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Russians are good. They are easy to take care of and very friendly.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. chelonianfreek44936

chelonianfreek44936 New Member

Russian(s) would be a good choise. Russians (at least mine is :wink: ) are very social and will eventually take food from your hand at let you gentelly rub their head/chin. I dont know where you live so i dont know if the temps + humidity are ok but in a pen that big you could try a marginated tortoise. I would only get 1 if it would spend most of the year outside because when it get fully grown a tank even 150gal would be a little small especially if itis used to the huge out door pen.