what kind of uro?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by kannibalklown, Mar 21, 2008.

1. kannibalklown

kannibalklown New Member

what is a good first time uro? i am looking in to getting one but i want something that looks good. i love ornates and nigerians but i dont have the money for one that expensive. and can it be housed with a beardie if they are around the same size?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

Nigerians aren't that expensive, actually. Mali's are the cheapest but they are only around 20 bucks less than a nigerian. However, mali's are known as better first time uromastyx.

They also cannot live with bearded dragons... for many reasons. One being the fact that uros cannot have water in their enclosure and bearded dragons need a fresh supply of water.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. alecboobie

alecboobie Embryo

i agree with coexistexotics, i would recommend a mali if its your first uro, every lizard has a different personality, but in my experiences i've noticed that nigerians are really shy. Mali's can be pretty social and less irritatable when handled. Ornates are my favorite and in my opinion they are the most social of the uro's, but they usually are a little pricey. like coexist said, you cant house beardies with uros for many reasons. for one, uros like it hot...really hot. a basking area for a uro needs to be at least 110, the hotter the better. my basking area's usually are around 120. a uros diet (should) mainly consist of a variety of greens, insects should only be fed as a treat on rare occassions unlike beardies. so make sure you do plenty of research. :)