What liizard gets big and makes a good pet?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by HerpNut, Oct 12, 2004.

1. HerpNut

HerpNut New Member

ok i need 2 know whiat kind of lizard gets a descent size 1 and a half to 2ft and makes a good pet. not a bearded dragon, blue tongue skink, or iguana,

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

you kinda named all of them... But maybe look into a monitor

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joe5555

joe5555 Member

you could get a tegu. freky pete i thought you were crash now

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Monitors and Tegus!!! :) The best bets for a large but people-friendly lizard are Savannah monitors, Water monitors, and Argentine Black and White Tegus. If you have monitor/tegu questions, I can help ya! Here's some pics:

Savannah Monitor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Water Monitor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Argentine Black and White Tegu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monitors and Tegus are my favorite animals. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

there are some *great* geckos that are in that size range that you could check out.
    i'd head over to the geckos folders and ask about large geckos.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Hey Herpnut!!! You said BIG before but now you edited your original post and now I look like an idiot! lol its ok. Well there are some good ones in the 11/2-2 ft range also. "Ackie" monitors, many agamids, and some big geckos are within that range, and also some iguanids I believe. Read up some books and see what appeals to ya. :)

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

The rhacadaculus leachinus is a great gecko for a big animal.pretty pricy though. sorry about spelling.

13. waterdragonbreeder

waterdragonbreeder New Member

get a water dragon they make great pets and besides monitors and tegus grow bigger than water dragons

14. mrj

mrj New Member

Ackie and Timor monitors are good choices, maybe a Golden Tegu. I believe the gold ones get around 3 feet.

15. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

I love the Tegu pics o_O and Joe... Axe helped me out

16. waterdragonbreeder

waterdragonbreeder New Member

get a water dragon

17. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

You already said that in your previous post.

Yeah, they get too big for this guy apparently, but they are cool. I like how they have really big eyes for a large lizard. They are so beautiful. I need them! :)

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

timors are only good if you want an animal that you might be able to look at. they tend to be very shy and secretive. now ackies...they are really good and have a great personality. they aren't too expensive either. if you wanna check out some ackies then i would suggest checking out http://proexotics.com/collection_monitors.html those guys are known for their high-quality animals. they put a lot of work and dedication into them. i convinced my parents to go to colorado in the spring of 2005 so check them out in person and possibly get another monitor

19. HerpNut

HerpNut New Member

thanks for all of the help u guys

20. livid_lizard

livid_lizard New Member

Try a mountain horned dragon. Mine is 5 years old and little over a foot. They are easygoing and people friendly. They have a high humidity demand, but they don't require as much standing water as a water dragon. Also, they like cooler temps. check froggieb.com or in the October 2003 Reptiles mag. Marcia Bradley is the queen of MHDs and if she can't tell you what you need to know, I don't think can.