what semi-large python should I get??

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by drpainphd, Aug 19, 2006.

1. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

I'm really interested in getting a large python. by large i mean something that will eventually be bigger than my full grown columbian red tail. I want a snake that is an impressive size except not so huge that i need 3 people to help me lift it. I'm looking for something that will eventually be "the big one." i love retics and burms but i'm intimidated by their housing/feeding requirements.

preferrably it would be a snake that was anywhere from 10-14 feet and not too heavy for me to handle. i've been leaning towards a coastal carpet python but would consider other stuff. dwarf retic maybe?? other than that i dont really know of any "large" pythons that arent either too big or too small for me. if anyone has any ideas of what might suit me better please let me know. '

SNAKES & METAL

oh yeah im silk screening some snakes & metal shirts pretty soon haha.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

How about a yellow anaconda they can be nippy at times but they don't get to big to handle a female would probably be from 10 to 12 feet of course they are boas or maybe a male burmese they typically dont get real large (males that is)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

hmm. I'm not too interested in anacondas but i've thought about getting a male burm before. i'm gonna have to think about this a lot before the next reptile show.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

heh yea

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

you could even consider one of the burm morfs albino, green, albino green, granite, albino granite, larbrynth, albino labrynth and so on (spelling)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

the green burms and the albino greens, are smaller as adults compared with normal burms, so maybe a male one of those? It would be a thick 10 ft. or so... but not so big you can't handle it... the coastal carpet won't get that big, it will hit 8 ft. maybe 9, but past there would be really rare... there are VERY few cases of them reaching 12 or 13 ft, but I don't even think those were in the US (they were in Europe somewhere)...

12. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

if a green burm would stay smaller then would a het for green stay smaller (I know we talked about hets b4 blake) but if they carry the green gene could that make them smaller?..........................woohoo 100 posts heh sorry I was excited

13. Blake_Herman

I have no idea... I've never even seen a green burm over about 9 ft... have you?

14. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

awesome, the green burm sounds like it might be perfect. approx. how much would a healthy 10 foot burm weigh?

15. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

umm actually i havent seen a green burm over 9 feet come to think of it heh and i held a 9 foot green burm at a snake show and it was about 60 pounds

16. Blake_Herman

I honestly don't know, but I would guess roughly 30 - 50 pounds for a male burm that 10-12 ft. long... you could do a 50 pound and under with you by yourself and someone else there for backup just if something goes wrong... I hope you're pretty strong though, even a 30 pounder can wear you out quick...

17. improvius

improvius New Member

Olive python.

18. Blake_Herman

an olive would be perfect for you if you could find one... and have the money for one... that would be awesome cause my 8-9 foot olive only weighs 8 or 9 pounds...

19. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

lol long and skinny heh

20. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

i figure if i get a green burm as a hatchling and start lifting weights by the time its full grown ill be able to handle it easily haha. does anyone know anything about dwarf retics?

21. Zia

Zia Member

blake's the guy to ask about retics..Dwarves are generally small in the wild only because the islands they come from (Jampea and Kuyaudi (sp?) ) are very small, as are the prey items and the scarcity of aforementioned prey items. They really havent been around in captivity long enough to know a whole ton about them. But ask Blake..he's delved far deeper into the subject than i have, and i also got a lot of the info from him come to think of it lol

22. Blake_Herman

the dwarfs CAN be small but that doesn't mean it will be... I know I talked with one guy that had a 5 year old jampea (which would not be full grown) and it was 15 or 16 ft. long and about 125 pounds... It's going to be smaller than a full size retic, but that does not mean small... Zia is right that we just don't know enough about them to say they are true dwarfs... and it makes a huge difference what they are eating. In the wild being restricted to those islands, it would be a huge disadvantage to be large, but in captivity nothing is going to hold them back... Retics have an enormous appetite and I think there's a chance it could get quite a bit larger than you expect it too...

The male green burm or an olive python would be the best... if you don't mind my asking, what price range are you looking for?

23. Blake_Herman

this is a "dwarf" jampea... this is a pic of that 5 year old jamp. This is one of Jim Gasper's jamps, so I want to clarify this is not mine (that's him in the picture)...

[​IMG]

24. Zia

Zia Member

Yay for dwarfs lol. Blake i'm curious and can't find anything on the net, if you dont know what locale your retic is, is there anyway to tell a jampea/kuyaudi from any of the others? I still am beginning to think that mine may not be the normal i initially thought. He's eating regularly, husbandry is good, and is shedding. But he doesnt seem to be growing at the rate that a lot of people seem to expect out of baby retics.

25. Blake_Herman

yeah, the jamps and the kuyaudi have different patterns than normals, and somewhat different from each other as well... honestly, all of mine I know are full size and none of them are growing at the rate I expected... but I do know some other guys that have normal retics that are growing by leaps and bounds...