what semi-large python should I get??

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by drpainphd, Aug 19, 2006.

1. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

id hardly call that beast a dwarf, especially if its only 5 in that pic. it's owner looks like one of my english proffessors lol. thanks for the help blake, im glad you started posting here. thanks everyone else too.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

im willing to spend up to 400 although id rather not spend anymore than 200. If i decide on something that is somewhat common i'd like to try to find one to adopt or buy for cheap from someone who doesnt want theres anymore. It's still a tough choice. dwarf retics are a little pricey for me and their size is probably too unpredictable. a green burmese seemed like a good idea but I dont like their (lack of) pattern very much for some reason. right now im still leaning towards a coastal carpet python, even though theyre a little smaller than id like. I've also read they need a lot more verticle space in their enclosures. i'll probably make up my mind at the breeders expo in october.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

lol for 5 years old that is a small retic heh

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

LOL!!!!! nah, i dont see whats so funny. what i meant was... for something called a "dwarf", thats still pretty f'ing big. unless of course that man is only 4 feet tall.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

believe me, he's not 4 ft. tall... :wink: a coastal would use some height if you give it to them, but they aren't a small snake and they do need some decent floor space...

here's jim with one of his "larger" retics... :(
    [​IMG]

and this is a pic of the carpets eating... you can tell they're semi-arboreal...
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. improvius

improvius New Member

drpain, I'm still voting for olives. They are absolutely gorgeous snakes. I'd defintiely get one if I ever wanted to try a "big" python. Blake, can you post some pics?

12. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

im familiar with olives and they are pretty cool. i'm not willing to pay that for one though. I also would greatly prefer a snake with some interesting pattern.

13. improvius

improvius New Member

Hmm, I didn't know they were that expensive. Well, if you're open to boas, I'd also suggest an Argentine. I just love the pattern they have. I've seen a few in person, and pictures never seem to do them justice.

14. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

yeah, from what ive seen, olives are pretty expensive. i just saw an ad on kingsnake for a 2,000 dollar breeding pair.

15. Blake_Herman

olives are a lot, and it's more than just a question of if you have the money, you have to find one too... they are still pretty rare... I think there's a pair on Prehistoric Pets right now for $2000... I love patterns as well, but I still think the olive is right there with the ones with crazy colors all over them... it's just a simple, elegant beauty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

never a lack of pictures... she's eating a rabbit in the third pic...

16. Joeseph311

Joeseph311 Embryo

Ever consider blood pythons ? If you get a well started juvinile and are responsible enough to meet thier demands They get bigger then most boas, Well atleast as far as girth is concerned.

17. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

thanks for the pics blake. I saw that pair on prehistoric pets. I wish i had enough money to drop 1,000 on a snake but i just don't.
    Also, you have a awesome collection (which im sure you already know) and i was wondering if you had pics of your herp room or terrarium setups that you could post. Thanks.,

18. Blake_Herman

I've been trying to get a couple videos or something of the apartment because it's pretty tight and hard to get pictures... I'll post them when I can in the photo section... thanks

19. Samael

Samael New Member

if you get a hatchling you shouldn't need weights, just lifting and handling the snake will get you used to the weight. Or at leats it should, but hope you find a snake you'll like.

20. Samael

Samael New Member

Yeah bloods do get girthy, short and fat. lol.