What some people do for a few bucks...

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by avd88, Jan 6, 2006.

1. avd88

avd88 New Member

I took some petstore pictures today, and this is what I got, and Ive seen worse in those same stores... believe me.
    Besides all of the prices are wayyyyy too high for someone to be intrested in purchasing them.

A ball python, hope he`s not claustrophobic, it also had some like little bald spots on its head, as if there were no scales. (170 Dlls)
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/99507c58.jpg

Last time they had an albino burmese in that same enclosure, but it was much more bigger, litteraly no space to move, and the pricetag was bout 1000 dlls, Im pretty sure it died cause they have lowered the price on these new one to 700 dlls (Still very expensive.)
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/73854415.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/11a110b1.jpg

Five balls, in the same enclosure, and there were more last time I saw them.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/54b327e4.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/fcb07ded.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/0f8dbb88.jpg

This iguana has also a very tiny enclosure, its trying to get some sunlight, unfortunately no uv light or sunrays.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/iguana.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/avd88/5ef9273c.jpg

It really makes me sad to see all of this and not being able to do something about it, you can actually look at the animal straight into its face and somehow you see how much its suffering.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

That makes me soooo mad!! :evil: I wish they were shut down.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. greeneyes

greeneyes Embryo

Yeah that is ashame, but unfotunately I have seen much worse at my local pet store. I don't remember if you read it, but I posted one about the anaconda, redtail, and albino burmese all in a small tank together. I called the humane society but it is doubtful they do anything about it . Most people could care less about animals , especially snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

today I saw a huge veiled cham in a 20 gallon tank with about three inches of standing water and feces, I was a little upset to say the least. They also had a large red eared slider with a tiny hatchling slider, and ferrets in a small rabbit cage.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. zenreptiles

zenreptiles New Member

I've seen a 3 ft ig crammed into a 15gallon tank before myself. I've also seen pet stores that don't seem to realize most reptiles need extra heat sources.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jordao_51

jordao_51 Member

Pet stores like that disgust me. I make sure that in the store I work in (reptile department, of coarse :)) I make note of all customers opinions. So far ive ridded the place of sand and have moved everything into proper sized tanks, not that the store was bad in the first place, but now its top notch and the best petstore ive ever seen :)

12. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I can't beleive that people even do this.

13. elums

elums Member

That is really sad. I feel so sorry for all those herps.

14. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

There must be laws in the US to stop that. I mean its plain cruel. :x

15. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

Piledge and burn'em

16. Rachael

Rachael New Member

you know after hearing about hearing some of these stores, i feel kind of lucky that the only thing i have to complain about is that my petco keeps their leos on calci-sand. everything else is ship-shape and the animals are pretty healthy and lively.

17. leoluver5793

leoluver5793 New Member

:(

That's terrible! Especially when you look at the iggy trying to get some sunlight...:) Fortunately, my PetSmart and PetLand take great care of their animals, and all of the herps are in appropriately sized tanks.

18. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

RE: :(

I thought all petsmarts have that stupid corporate regulated reptile cage rock stand thing, all those tanks are really small.

19. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

In my local petsmart I've seen an rock iguana, a mountain horned dragon, and a painted turtle all in the same enclosure. The iguana was so skinny it looked like a snake with arms and legs. The reason they house them in such small enclosures is for profit. Those small cages are cheap and the reptiles are expensive so when someone makes a purchase on one they rake in the cash. Another reason for being in a small cage is the hope that someone will buy the reptile fast and they wont have to be in there very long, though, that never happens due to the large price.

20. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

That is soo sad :-( that first ball's water dish was hardly big enough to hold water let alone for the snake to soke in!
    It is sad that most pet shops are like that.

21. mundell99

mundell99 New Member

:evil: :cry: :x :!: That was so upsetting,especially the poor iguana! Shops who sell animals/herps/fish should be made to put their staff through courses and only be allowed to sell them once their staff have gained the right knowledge! HANG THEM!

22. xfrilledxkingiix

xfrilledxkingiix Embryo

Hopefully for those herps someone will come along and buy them and give them a good home before its too late... :)

23. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Are those animals always in those enclosures because I gotta say they all looked really healthy. Don't get me wrong, I'm one to jump on the "bad pet store" band wagon in a hearbeat but at the same time I would assume those are temporary enclosures and those animals must be rotated out for display or something along those lines. I guess what I'm saying is, if I were to walk into a store and see animals as healthy as those in cages as clean as those are then I would assume they are only kept in those enclosures for display purposes and are normally housed in more appropriate conditions. I mean if you go some reptile shows you'll see the same type of thing going on and it's only temporary and for display. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you guys are. It's early still and I haven't had my coffee. :)

24. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

Re: RE: :(

I have 2 Petsmarts near me in NJ, and I have to say that Petsmart is the only pet store out here that does take care of their animals correctly.
    Reptiles are in beautiful cages with proper set-ups and lighting. I am even impressed by their Hermit Crab care, as hermies are usually sold as 'disposable' pets in some little wire cage or plastic carrier when they actually require similar care to a reptile!
    The one petsmart here (not sure about the other one yet) even goes through private breeders for their reptiles instead of going through mills.

I went to a petsmart this weekend to look for some supplies, and one of the workers came up to me in the reptile department and asked me what kind of herp I have. I said I will be getting a Bearded dragon in a month or 2, and we had this long conversation about proper BD care and she was EXTREMELY knowledgeable! She was also glad to see I was knowledgeable and that so many customers are clueless about reptile care.

All the tanks in both the petsmarts are very clean, and the critters inside are always healthy looking. Active species are playful (I love watching the fire-bellied toads there! They are so entertaining!)

So yea, just b/c alot of petsmarts are bad, doesn't mean they are all terrible. It depends on the individual store and who works there.
    Alot of petsmart managers probably just hire anyone off the street who wants a job, while other store's managers require knowledge in reptile care.

I agree with you there. While the tanks do look way too small, they are VERY clean and the herps do look healthy. So it is possible taht these are just the display tanks out in the store, and after store hours they are kept in larger enclosures in the back room or something?

25. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: :(

Calm down ok i knows its bad but you can't say that they should be in jail but not dead.