What sorta Reptile expreiance?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Freaky_pete, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

What sorta expericance would you suggjest somone to have before getting a Iguana.. it was the first type of lizard I ever wanted.. but I settled for a Bearded becuase the pet store said Dragons are a good starter pet... I was looking in the classfieds and I saw the saddest thing.. A Free 2 year old Iguana needs to get a home soon or will be put down in the next few weeks :cry: Im only 15 and live with my dad and well If It was myhouse It would be full of lizards and Snakes but it ant and my dad doesnt wasnt anymore pets unless there easy to take care off... And from what a read on them they can be a chanlenge Would you recommend a Iguana to sombody will little but some experiance and are they hard to care for?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Iguanas take a special keeper... they can be pretty nasty and have some specialized care requirements. If you are living in a home with a parent that doesn't like your herps or doesnt want additional animals then an iguana is not the right choice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i wouldn't recommend an iguana to someone that doesn't have much expierence and yea they are pretty hard to care for. but you have a good heart. im 16 ad i got my iguana from my cousin who got it from a friend who had it for 2years but he couldnt take care of it right so now i have it. i have had an iguana before though that is the only reason i was willing to take it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Freaky_pete

Alright...its just kinda sad that the Iguana will be put down within the next 2 weeks

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

That is unfortunate, but I agree that it may not be in either of your best interests to take him in. Is there any way for you to contact an iguana rescue group and alert them to this poor iguana's situation? Or contact the owner and ask them to send it to a rescue group?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Freaky_pete

We have no sort of thing... The people you call about resucing animals are the same people putting it down

12. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

My wife and I rescue reptiles, maily lizards and it is always sad to hear about one about to be put down.
    I currently have 2 that are my own, Squirt and Serafin, both rescues, my has a Beardie she purchased from a good breeder.
    I have been rescuing Iguanas for about a year now and when I got the first one I wish I had studied first as I got a shock at what is needed and how they can be quite nasty when the want to be.
    I am lucky with my 2 lil buds as they are friendly, not like some I have met.
    If you want to have an Iguana, you need to read up long and hard, Melissa Kaplan has a great site. You also need your dad to be willing accept these green giants in his home.
    I am lucky, I have a family that love them as much as I do, it would be impossible otherwise. We are up feeding them at 6 am, even if they don't come down to eat until later in the day.
    Good luck and read hard