What to do now

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by drag_on457, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Every Uro reacts to photo periods differently. When I first got Lincoln I had my lights going on at 9 and off at 9, therefore having a 12/12 photoperiod.

Well this made Lincoln very unhappy because he is a early riser and he likes to turn in early. So I switched his lighting to go on at 6:30 and off at 5:30, making the photoperiod 11/13. he is much more happier with this because he is awake and out by 7:30 and back in bed by 4 sometimes. he doesn't glass dance anymore, and his appetite has improved. I suggest just observing your Uro's behavior. Do they get up early? late? what time are they bedded down for the night? There is no universal photoperiod and time schedule, every Uro is different.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lizard_Man_s_Lizard_Man

Lizard_Man_s_Lizard_Man Embryo

i agree with Riddick on the moving of the hide to a warmer place, when I first got my Uromastyx he did not eat for about a week and just hid from me all day everyday but once I moved his hide into a warmer area of the vivaium it seemed to wake him up a bit and he soon became more active and began eating.Ive heard Uromastyx are messy eaters. i know mine definateley is so I would say when you saw veggies out of the bowl that would be a good sign he/she's been at them. (What is its name by the way?) Im no expert but I know my Lizard Man goes crazy for Dandelion flowers and leaves. If I walk in a room holding them his head will flick to look at me and he will run up to the glass and start licking his tongue all over the place. So its definateley a good thing to try.

Hope you have or do get the little man(or lady) eating.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. aaron157

aaron157 Member

First move the hide to a warmer spot, I have noticed that my uros are out more when with the hide in the middle of the cage, in between the cold and hot side. Another thing is that Uros are fairly intelligent as far a reptiles go and have a lot of personality. I have one that will come out and do his normal uro thing, but when I walk into the room he shoots for the hide. there is nothing wrong with him, just he is skittish, and probably always will be. Oh, another thing you might do is add more stuff for him to climb on or hide in, he just maybe a little scarred if he only has on safe place in the cage.