What to get?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by leoosrul, Nov 29, 2008.

1. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok so i am moving my little leopard gecko in to a new custom enclosure so i am going to have an open 20L aquarium. so i would kindly like any and all suggestions as to what i could put in it. i mean repitles, amphibians all of them. well except for snakes. because i dont think that i will be able to convince my dad to let me get a snake...so ill put my 2 cents in on what i was thinking about. so far i have looked up about tokays or maybe a FB toad. i dont know much about FB's so if anyone has anything to say about them please do :) and the same for tokays :)

thanks,
    josh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Tokays are great if you dont mind a lizard you cant handle - however a 20 long is not a suitable tank for a tokay as they like to climb - a 29 gallon would be a better choice, or a 20high.

FTBs are great! you could easily house a pair or 3 in a 20long, check out the care sheet in the firebelly toad section of the forum for more info - plus read some of the threads there. Basically you want a mostly aquatic set up with some land and plants etc. Fire bellies are entertaining and beautiful and very hardy and easy to care for.

Other ideas...

if you can convince your dad to let you have a snake then a corn snake or a kingsnake could live for a couple years in a 20long, although they will likely need a larger tank -s ome smaller individuals may be ok in a 20long, but not usually.

african fat tails, which are very similar to leos would also be a good idea.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

thank you for clearing up the subject of 20L's with tokays MimC. that kinda stinks because i love the way that little tokays look...but if it wont work i guess ill wait. hmmm...fat tails actually sound the best right now...not to be a speciesest or anything but im definetly partial to geckos :rolleyes: oh and another question relating to leos and fat tails, and before i ask, no im not thinking of doing this. but are they close enough related that they could cross breed?

josh

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

fire skinks are great...

and a jewelled lacerta can live in a 20L for a bit (super cool lizard btw)

you could do a couple dart frogs in a 20L or a few salamanders too.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

oh i just read the care sheet on here about lacertas and i totaly wish i could get one!! oh and kev i for got i have a picture of that amphibian i asked you about for ever ago. i will get the pic up in the forum soon.

what would i have to do for the dart frogs? like would i have to stand the tank up on end? or cold i just sit it regularly?

josh